2.5l Sputtering. Bad Fuel Pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5l Sputtering. Bad Fuel Pump?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2.5l Sputtering. Bad Fuel Pump?

Alright so here's the deal.
When driving in the Jeep, I've noticed that it's starting to sputter.
As I get up to speed, the Jeep will act like it's low or out of gas. It jerks and sputters a little until i put it in neutral and pump up the RPMs. Then it behaves, but only for a little because it'll start to do it again.
On the highway it does it too, however not as bad. Maybe once or twice at a time.
But everytime it does it, it feels like I'm out of gas.

I read up and some people said the CPS, TPS, wires to the fuel pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, Rotor cap, wires, sparkplugs, etc.
I replaced my TPS last summer. I haven't touched my CPS, but is that even a feasable option? I'm not even sure was purpose that sensor serves.
I also replaced my fuel filter less then a year ago.
Replaced the sparkplugs less then a year ago, replaced the rotorcap when I bought the Jeep two years ago, and the wires are nice aftermarket silicone wires.
And as for the fuel pump, what I'm experiencing, are those symptoms of a failing fuel pump or frayed wires to the fuel pump?

The Jeep always starts up fine.
The fuel pump has no problem priming the engine with gas.
It only happens when I'm actually driving.

Thanks,
-Brian

-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try pulling and cleaning your injector, and cleaning the throttle body, (get new injector O rings first!), along with changing the fuel filter. Also, Ohm out the IAC and coolant temp sensors to make sure they are reading the correct value for their temperature range.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a few things. Start by checking the fault codes. If you dont have and codes set then I would start by checking the fuel pressure at the rail. Also possibly a bad temp sensor. No the CPS will normally work or not work. When it doesnt work the engine will just cut out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help everyone!
All sign pointed towards a failing sensor, so before I decided to bust out the ohms reader, I decided to take the easy path and seafoam throught the throttle body again.
Long story short, it fixed the problem!
I noticed there was quite a bit of oil and grime in the throttle body body along with oil residue around the small tube that connects from the airbox to the engine valve cover.
So I cleaned the tube out and throttle body with the left over sea foam.
Engine runs nice and strong now
Thanks for the help!
-Brian
-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.