2.5L performance upgrade...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L performance upgrade......

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
turf-pro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L performance upgrade......

I am in need of a little more zzzip from my 4 cylinder. It runs great, for having 100k on it, but turning 31's is tough on the mountainous highway. I am not hard on my jeep, just enjoy some "light" off roading.

Can you put a 4.0 intake on a 2.5L? If so, I need details...

Please give any other tuning advice.

Thanks, turf-pro

turf-pro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
drtywtr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

not on a 1990 yj. they have tbi (throttle body injection) stick with the old stand by intake and exhaust. mild gains but you are never going to turn a 2.5 into a drag racer no matter how hard you try
drtywtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
1C41N0
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, if you have TBI you can put a 4.0 TB on a 2.5, but make sure you swap the idle air controller (IAC), or it'll run like crap. Keep it tuned up. There's not much you can really do to gain HP on a 2.5, it's a matter of making what it has more useable. Cheap mods are hotter coil,($70) high flow air filter$30 60 degree elbow, filter and grommets. Then you can put a less restrictive exhaust and an electric fan. If you put larger tires the main thing is to regear according to the size of the tires 4.56 or even 4.88. Anything else is just not worth it. The best gain is to do an engine swap. If you're thinking a 4.0 swap, consider a V6 or V8 if you want to get into it. The work is about the same, but a V6/8 swap is more costly because you can't use much of the old drivetrain. Basically to improve what you have, get that little engine some more air to breath, and then reduce the workload on it. They're an awesome reliable little engine, I love mine. I only running 235's, and no lift/gear changes. I don't think the 1990's are TBI, even though, the rest of this post contains the main points.
1C41N0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The best performance upgrades for a 2.5L are made by General Motors.
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
drunkencitywork
1995 YJ Wrangler 

www.4bangerjp.com lots of stuff just for 4cyl
drunkencitywork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
The best performance upgrades for a 2.5L are made by General Motors.

Amen brother !!
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the hot coil, wires and plugs, as described on another thread, and I could notice the difference. Less downshifting. Getting the rusty old coil out took some time.
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also another cheap upgrade is....

Switching from 17lb injectors to 19lb ford injectors. It's a direct drop in replacement and gives your little 2.5 better
fuel delivery due to the increase in preasure as well as a 4 pintel (port) design. The stock 17lb injectors only have
one pintel. It allows your motor to perform better at the higher rpms when the ECU leans out the fuel delivery. This is
above 3200 rpms. Remember your power band on the little 2.5L is 2800-to-3500rpms. When revving the motor to pass
on the highway or climbing hills it really pays off. The motor keeps pulling all the way through 5000-to-5500 rpms. WoW!
At lower rpms you can enjoy a much smother and I do mean MUCH smother idol and a faster throttle response. I do suggest
you also do the 4.0 TB upgrade at the same time to get the full benefit out of it. I also tossed my stock muffler and replaced
it with a glasspack. I did some experimenting with the exhaust. I removed everything and ran it for awhile. Loss of power
and way too loud. Next I put back in the stock Cat. The power came back and much quieter but still to raspy and not toned
down enough. The glass pack toned it down and gave it a better sound with no flow restrictions. I'm very happy with the sound
and performance of this set up. Believe me, I'm 41 and don't like loud vehicles. You would think the glasspack would be
too loud but in reality the cat does most of the quiting and the the glasspack tones it.

I bought all my upgrades off ebay. The injectors were from a Donner Volvo. I got 5 (Volvo's are 5 cyl, I got a spare LOL)
19 lb injectors shipped to my door for $12.20. The 4.0 Throttle Body was $29.99 + $7.95 S+H ($37.94) The glasspack was
19.99 at a local parts store. Money well spent IMO. The bet $70.13 I spent on my Jeep besides regearing.

Some say the the ECU relearns the extra fuel and Air intake. I agree to a point. I does relearn the extra capacities and has
them available when needed and also adjusts to the new air and fuel mixture that is also available but it does NOT go back to
stock. I have had min on now for a better part of 6 weeks and it has been well over 50 warm up/start cycles and I still have
all the benefits of these upgrades.

Good Luck
John

Unread 03-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did the hot coil, wires and plugs, as described on another thread
That is going to be my next upgrade!

John
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzjeepyj View Post
Also another cheap upgrade is....

Switching from 17lb injectors to 19lb ford injectors. It's a direct drop in replacement and gives your little 2.5 better
fuel delivery due to the increase in preasure as well as a 4 pintel (port) design.
Except the OP's heep is a '90 which has only one injector - in the TB.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

WOOPS! I Missed that. That will teach me to read their stats first before posting. LOL Thanks for catching that.
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzjeepyj View Post
WOOPS! I Missed that. That will teach me to read their stats first before posting. LOL Thanks for catching that.
I only caught it 'cause mine is the same year and had the TBI before I installed the Chevy MPI upgrade......with the 4.3L engine under it
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 03-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
KEEFFIE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

my brother did the " screaming demon" upgrade on his 4 popper. he said he noticed the inprovment. he can ALMOST keep up on the roads now.lol almost. oh not sure if there is differnt packages avail for the 4 popper but his was wires,cap,rotor,coil,and we also bought new splitfire plugs and intake at the same time.
KEEFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

With my 02 wrangler with the 2.5, I was running 31's and swapped in 4:56's. It made a big difference with this combo. I disagree, general motors doesn't have a cure for anything when it comes to a jeep. I wouldn't put a chevy engine in a chevy much less my my jeep.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
KEEFFIE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I wouldn't put a chevy engine in a chevy much less my my jeep.

i also disagree with your findings. mine has a chevy motor and am more then pleased with it and the power, no major probloms.
KEEFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.