Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2.5L Exhaust for my 92

557 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wolf3902 
#1 ·
Im lookin for a new exhaust system for my 4 cyl 2.5L yj. I want something that sounds deep. Should i go with a gibson exhaust system or a flowmaster system. I am just trying to get as much out of my 4cyl as i can. I am also going to get an air intake but i think im going to go with exhaust first. What type of exhaust do all of you have with your 2.5L?

#2 ·
I have a gibson with my 4.0 and love it. I got the all alumized one, northeast salt up here kills everything. I heard flowmasters rot-out pretty quick? :dunno: It's just what I heard.

#3 ·
Just realize you're not going to get a lot of power from an exhaust system for your 2.5, although I know every little bit helps. I went to a local muffler shop and they bent up some new tube for me with a glass pack on it. It gives a good low rumble and I really love how it sounds! It was cheap too. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
i had a 2.5 a montrh ago and sold it for a 4.0l but i had a flowmaster 40 seris on it and it sounded great nice deep tone no ricey buzzing either it was a great exhaust i will be buying it for my new jeep once i bang up the exhaust :D go with the flowmaster youll be happy

#6 ·
Phiz YJ said:
Newb here. I have heard the term axle wrap used but what is actually happening to the axle durring this apperently disliked action?
Well, it has nothing to do with exhaust first off... But when you start off from a stop usually, the load of torque delivered throught the driveline can make the srpings twist upwards and make them looks like a sideways "S". The reason it's disliked because it wears out the springs faster and can bend tailshafts and break rear end yokes. That's the quick rundown. Do a search.

Now back to exhaust.

#7 ·
I've heard word of needing enough "back pressure" from another post.
And I used to have a Toyota that would run like crap with the slightest hole in the exhaust.
Have any of you run into this problem?
I'd like to put a Glass Pack on mine but I'm leery about it.

#9 ·
Well, tried a Thrush Turbo. Doesn't sound bad, but I think I've lost power, unless it's a coincidence with something else.
Anybody have any theories?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.