2.5l and backpressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5l and backpressure

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-08-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Greencar

2.5l and backpressure

I know you need some backpressure fpr low end and what not, but when is it too much??? when ever I downshift, or I am in between shifting my jeep make a pretty loud blat blat blat noise out of the tailpipe, is this normal, I have a flowmaster 50 series and a high flow cat. But the main question I am asking is it ok to have that much backpressure?

Thanks

-Dan

Unread 07-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
JSLRedYJ

Very good question, mine does it too!
I'll be watching for an answer
JSLRedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLRedYJ
Very good question, mine does it too!
I'll be watching for an answer
Ha, ha, ha! It would seem that ALL of us with Flowmasters and high flow cats have asked ourselves the same question!
This is just a guess, but I think that our Jeeps have always made that noise when letting off of the gas while in gear. IMO The difference being stock cat and muffler were restrictive enough to dampen the noise.
Remember how heavy your stock muffler was compared to the Flowmaster? Alot of engineering time and $$$ goes into designing a quiet muffler that has reasonable flow characteristics.
Warn bumpers F & R/Warn gas tank skid
4 point harnesses/Poison Spyder sliders
Warrior Corner Guards/JKS Quick Disco's & telescoping front track bar/M.O.R.E. Rear traction bar/PSC ram steering
Borla header/Turbo City intake/Flowmaster muffler/new cat
all propelled by a [B]MONSTER [/B] 2.5l I4
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.