2.5L Airbox modifications - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L Airbox modifications

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-27-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

2.5L Airbox modifications

Are there two restrictors that can be removed from a 2.5l airbox on the yj's? If so is the difference noticeable, and does it harm the engine? Does this mod compare to the cold air intake i see in catalogs.
Thanks,
Jake

jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Your correct, there are 2 restrictors on the 2.5L. If you run a quick search of this YJ Forum you can find someone's exact tutorial of removal, (with pictures!). I have removed my restrictors and put in a K&N High Flow Filter. I've never used a Cold Air Intake, but the k&n+restrictors has shown results, initial first and second gear acceleration has shown improvement.
I'm not sure about the engine harming, isn't more air flow a good thing for the engine?

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 06:48 PM   #3
JeeperJay

Where is the second restrictor? I know about the one at the back of the airbox at the inlet tube, but thats it.
Unread 02-27-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
95yj-4 cyl

The other is at the front of the airbox.
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

thanks for the input, but does it harm the engine, or could it?
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #6
I-4

no,it won't hurt your engine.i have had both restrictors out of my jeep for over a year,and have had no harmful side effects.
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:57 PM   #7
Mike611

Removing your restrictor also helps when your wheeling... It give's you just a slight, slight bit more low-end, so, your not working you clutch quite as much,, and while it's not a big difference,, any improvement for free is better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick!
Mike
95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:59 PM   #8
Mike611

P.S.---> this is for I-4,,,, how do you like your centerforce clutch? How much was it? What kind of difference can you tell? How hard is it to put in? you know, all that good stuff, thanks!
Mike,,,
95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
jfarrell

any comments or experience regarding 90 YJ on air box restrictors. If you know anything could you also see my post regarding the vacuum lines. not sure if they are on the 91 and up yj's?

Need some help...thanks!
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM   #10
Nine5YJ

hey-

one of my friends has a 90 YJ 4 banger.. his airbox was different than mine and it didnt have any cones that we could find without ripping the whole thing apart...
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:08 PM   #11
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

For the front, on the innerside, towards the fan, on the lower foward side, there is like a 2" x 3" plastic panel, pop that right off!

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 11:05 PM   #12
kidwired

skip the restrictors
put a 3 inch intake on!
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #13
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

Please give me some more details on that.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.