2.5L to 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L to 4.0L

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-12-2001, 06:58 PM   #1
Keith
Admin

2.5L to 4.0L

What all is involved from going to the 2.5L to the 4.0L. I've read the frames are different?

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
I-4

yes the frames are diferrent.the t-case input in 2.5 is 21 spline.it's 23 spline on the 4.0.there's a slight difference in driveshaft lengths as well.you know the other obvious diffrences.it's not impossible,might be cheaper to just by a 6 cyl jeep.don't know for sure.
Unread 10-12-2001, 07:14 PM   #3
Keith
Admin

What frame modifications would have to be made to fit the 4.0?

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2001, 12:39 PM   #4
I-4

i can't remember for sure,i think you have to move the mounting point on the frame forward.the 4 banger,as you know,is stuffed in all the way at the fire wall.
Unread 10-14-2001, 09:38 AM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the motor mounts are different, as far as the frame goes. Cut them off and weld on new ones is all.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2001, 11:32 AM   #6
fuelin

for all thats involved in swapping in a 4.0 it would cost the same to do a v8 swap or if you want a 6 get a gm4.3 v6 these can be done easily and they swap into the 4cyl wranglers easier then a 4.0....have you driven a 4.0 i ask because that motor is a dog in my oppinion but i have a preference for v8's as i have had them all my life...i have a 89 yj also and am going the 302 swap with a c4 auto and a dana 20 out of an early bronco.
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 07:07 PM   #7
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by fuelin:
for all thats involved in swapping in a 4.0 it would cost the same to do a v8 swap or if you want a 6 get a gm4.3 v6 these can be done easily and they swap into the 4cyl wranglers easier then a 4.0....have you driven a 4.0 i ask because that motor is a dog in my oppinion but i have a preference for v8's as i have had them all my life...i have a 89 yj also and am going the 302 swap with a c4 auto and a dana 20 out of an early bronco.
I agree that with all the work, you could install a small block in there. Probably cost less since those engines are plentiful. Lots of trans options available too. I'd probably go with a 4.3L Vortec for a 6. Maybe a 5.2L Magnum or a 5.7L Vortec or maybe a new Vortec 5.3L. Unless you're limited by what engine you can install (Some states will only allow a engine that was offered) then I'd see what else you can do with it.

The frame is not different. The frame mounts for the engine are. But you can do away with it with a AA engine mount. The input shaft on the Tcase will also need to be swapped. Depending on the year there will be differences in fittings for the PS box and pump, unless you swap back to the 2.5L's.
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:22 PM   #8
jerrys yj

how well would a 2001 4.0l fit into a 2.5L 91 yj. if i was able to get motor ,tranny ,transfercase, and driveshafts?
-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:29 PM   #9
jerrys yj

i would go with a v8 but i can get these for free so i want to take advantage of it.
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:30 PM   #10
jerrys yj

also any writeups or web pages would be nice!
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:52 AM   #11
Don Tibbetts

If you can get all of that stuff for free I would say you just lowered you costs considerably. I read somewhere that Jeep offers a conversion kit. I don't know what all is included. If you can get all that stuff for free, I would think that it would be worthwile. I'd give it a shot. It sounds like your biggest problem would be changing the engine mounts and mounting location. This is a small amount of effort to transform you Jeep and even update to newer technology.
My .002
Don Tibbetts
Don Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 11:03 AM   #12
jerrys yj

where can i find this conversion kit at?
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 03-03-2002, 01:23 PM   #13
KPOM

Free doesn't mean better. All the work you'll have to put into it for such little performance really isn't worth it. You can get a Chev 350 or Ford 302 (mustang 5.0, well..4.6 motor) for about $100 in a junkyard, and spend maybe $1,000 building it up and you'd have quite a powerful motor. Trans, if you're going balls to the wall, is going to be $1,000 max, and transfer case really varies. But the fun you'd have would more than make up for it.

I'm in the process of doing a Chev 350 conversion myself, and I'm using this site as a guideline. Very helpful..you should seriously consider going V8.

This is the website for Advance Adapters. The adapters for a 350 are child's play.
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:34 AM   #14
Don Tibbetts

Check this page out for info about a 302 V8 swap.
http://www.bc4x4.com/chrisw/default.asp
Don Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.