2.5 YJ sputters / no start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 YJ sputters / no start

So last night on the way back from my girlfriend's house my YJ started running like **** on the freeway. Bad sputters on acceleration meant that I had to keep it in 4th to maintain 55mph.

I nursed it back home at 30mph on back roads and when I pulled into my carport it barely idled with a lot of lope, then died. I tried to start it back up and it turns over, sounds like it wants to start, but doesn't.

So where should I start looking? I'm sure it's either fuel or spark...so here's my list of things to check...help me out with any suggestions.

Fuel pump
Coil
ECU
Plugged Cat

Lay some help my way guys.

It's a 92 YJ 2.5 AX5, 125k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

check your coil, then inspect plug wires, then fuel rail. My 2.5 use to do this every once in a blue moon.... regularly changed my plugs, and fuel filter. Sea foamed it like every 6,000 miles...

1993 Silver YJ. SBC 300hp. 700r4. NP231 hybrid. 35" Mud Terrains. 7" Toyota Basterd packs. 8.8 Welded. D30 loc-rite. 1" body lift. 4" LED tails. Custom bumpers. Warn M8000. Hella's. (Trail rig)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.