2.5 YJ overheating - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 YJ overheating

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #31
czjeeper
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed a 195 t-stat in mine to replace the PO's too cold t-stat.
Run it until it's hot with the radiator cap off, and "burp" the system by squeezing the upper hose. That should suck all the air out of the system.

Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #32
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I thought i should update this thread with some important info on t-stats for out YJ's.

If you have to replace yours, make sure it has a bleeder hole!! I purchased 2 from advanced auto, neither of them had a breather hole (the factory one does!) and neither of them would open. They were the cause of this entire thread. I went to autozone, and the first one i picked up had a breather hole in it. I popped it in, and i never had another problem with it.

Save yourself some trouble, make sure your T-stat has a breather hole on it!
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #33
buzziegee
1990 YJ Wrangler 

2 things you could do....1 drill a 3/32" hole in the stat,that should get rid of any air lock in the system,or ,this is a bit extreme(depending on the climate),,you could gut the stat so its a restriction(this is a common low buck drag race trick).Just remove the valve/spring assembly,it should leave you about a 3/4 to1 inch orifice so the coolant will absorb the heat in the block/head,but it will take a little longer to get some heat...but try the 3/32 hole first ,,that should do it....Buzziegee
buzziegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.