2.5 is VERY underpowered... What more can I do? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 is VERY underpowered... What more can I do?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Closed Thread
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #46
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstnationslw View Post
Okay. So I've read all your replies and I've come to this conclusion. Some of you get it... and some you don't. I'm NOT selling this Jeep... No way am I spending 3k on turbo... and I don't have the time or the resources to be changing out motors, etc. In the last year, almost everything that tends to go when rigs get older has been replaced with brand new parts. I like the Jeep and I certainly never insinuated that I'm looking for a rocket... quite the contrary. A little extra power to help me up the hills is all I seek and thanks to you guys, I have lots of ideas... Thank you.

P.S. Those of you who call the 2.5 a POS and are stuck on big motors... In psychology, it's called "compensating". You require the something "big" to compensate for your own "small" equipment. Cheers!

Translation:

Quote:
I knew this question had been asked before. Many, many, many times. I even said so in my first post but I thought that this time, maybe the answer would be different and someone would kindly show me how to get another 50 horsepower by turning a screw or adjusting the distributor cap.

Instead I got a bunch of meanyhead replies (aka "reality") and you all suck. I hate you and I'm gonna throw a temper tantrum now.

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure... I put a 5.7 in my jeep so my "you-know-what" must be absolutely tiny!

But hey, at least I can drive up hills with no problems so I have that going for me.

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #47
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
So how long does the AX-5 and/or the D35 last once the turbo is in place?
Not long I know my AX-5 is going under stock conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzjeepyj View Post

3) Increase your fuel delivery to match your larger air flow This is where you upgrade
your stock 17lb fuel injectors to a better 4 pintle Bosch Type III EV1 19lb injector. Ford 19Lbs injectors

4) Hotter spark to burn the mixture. By upgrading your coil-wires and plugs, you allow your
system to burn off the better spray for more power. I used a super coil (Screamen
Deamon) coil, Live wires and Champion Plugs gaped to .080 for a much hotter burn.

5) Open up your exhaust for your new system to breath. Getting rid of the stock muffler
and cat and replacing them with high flow units allows your system to aspirate

I also went to an 14 " electric fan.
you started off this post saying it was not rocket science... but you posted way more then needed to be said.

I narrowed it down to the relevant points if the OP cares to try to "increase" hp on the 2.5. as to the rest of the post that was an Article. it seems more like the people doing the article were adding up HP numbers on the boxes of garbage they ordered and considering it good.

You can remove every air restriction the 2.5 has, put in a 4.0 throttle body and your HP gains are only going to be minimal. you dont get 8 hp for exhaust 10 for intake 10 for throttle body and get an addition of 28 HP.

and Throttle body spacers.... Come on they were designed for Carburetors. they basically were a poor man way of making the intake manifold taller... this will do nothing but add plumbing to your intake on an EFI engine.

Honestly when all is said and done you do everything to this 2.5 you will have been lucky to 20hp gain to the rear wheels. that is doing everything but throwing a blower on it.

last, 2 HP on a Dyno is Negligible at best. Heck even 7 HP can be. you can run the same vehicle nothing different and get those same results as half the so called power additions that the article claims to have gotten.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #48
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.....I own a 4.0 and a 2.5 and I will say this thread is full of fail
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #49
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
BTW, in the interest of full disclosure... I put a 5.7 in my jeep so my "you-know-what" must be absolutely tiny!

But hey, at least I can drive up hills with no problems so I have that going for me.
Not to mention the OP is one who was whining about no power etc...
Then he puts the ones who have been there and done it down like a spoilt 6yr old at a birthday party who doesn't get what he wanted.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #50
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfan1 View Post
Wow.....I own a 4.0 and a 2.5 and I will say this thread is full of fail
They are both good engines no? Can you not get up to highway speeds?
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #51
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
They are both good engines no? Can you not get up to highway speeds?
Yes they are both great, I have no problem with either of them. If the deal was right I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 2.5. I was more rerfering to the slinging of meat pistols that has to happen in a thread of this nature
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #52
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Drix

Thanks but I don't need your sarcastic opinion or your approval on the experiences of the modifications that I installed. I also don't appreciate you editing or paraphrasing any of my posts about what you think my results should be. I have personally done all of these modifications using very little money with great results. Even with modest gains of 20 Hp, on a 120 Hp stock motor, is a 16.6% Hp increase over stock. Someone has even taken the time to dyno their modifications and share their results of their experience and again, all you want to do is jamb your disapproval down everyone's throat. The equivalent gain on a 4.0L 265 Hp motor would be about 44.3 Hp. I know I would spend around $325.00 bucks to gain 44.3 Hp on a 4.0L. I have seen many people spend $300.00 -to- $500.00 bucks on headers and only gain 25 Hp.

I always value everyone's opinions and the more experiences to offer up the better but keep your opinionated, sarcastic, non constructive comments to yourself. I have said this many times, JF members like to interact with other JF members, talk about their Jeeps and their add their experiences to the JF forums. To simply post " use the search button " doesn't serve any purpose. I have personally searched for info on questions that I had and looked for hours with no results due to not using the right key words. I know when I purchased my first Jeep I wanted to TALK to other Jeep owners and be a part of a forum where I could share my experiences and felt welcome. How does your sarcastic responses make anyone feel welcome. If you are tired of answering the same questions over and over then don't answer them. Not everyone has your skill level or experience with Jeeps. Be patient with new members, give them the facts along with your opinion but let them make their own conclusions. Everyone's build and needs are different.
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #53
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, talk about bent out of shape for no reason.
I just reread what Drix posted, and find nothing offensive about it myself. Maybe I just have thicker skin though...
He did put some very good points across though, in my humble opinion of course, and did not come off as abusive to any member on here, including you Jonz. Maybe it's because he had the utter gaul to disagree with you?
Maybe want to edit that one mate, as it looks like you large fonted and bold rant was a total off base reply to a reasonable post.
Just my .02 though, and I'm sure a mod will be in here soon to clear up the weekly "I have a 4 banger and want more power" mess

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #54
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzjeepyj
Drix

Thanks but I don't need your sarcastic opinion or your approval on the
experiences of the modifications that I installed. I also don't appreciate
you editing or paraphrasing any of my posts about what you think my
results should be. I have personally done all of these modifications using
very little money with great results. Even with modest gains of 20 Hp, on
a 120 Hp stock motor, is a 16.6% Hp increase over stock. Someone has
even taken the time to dyno their modifications and share their results of
their experience and again, all you want to do is jamb your disapproval
down everyone's throat. The equivalent gain on a 4.0L 265 Hp motor would
be about 44.3 Hp. I know I would spend around $325.00 bucks to gain 44.3
Hp on a 4.0L. I have seen many people spend $300.00 -to- $500.00 bucks
on headers and only gain 25 Hp.

I always value everyone's opinions and the more experiences to offer up the
better but keep your opinionated, sarcastic, non constructive comments to
yourself. I have said this many times, JF members like to interact with other
JF members, talk about their Jeeps and their add their experiences to the JF
forums. To simply post " use the search button " doesn't serve any purpose.
I have personally searched for info on questions that I had and looked for
hours with no results due to not using the right key words. I know when I
purchased my first Jeep I wanted to TALK to other Jeep owners and be a
part of a forum where I could share my experiences and felt welcome. How
does your sarcastic responses make anyone feel welcome. If you are tired of
answering the same questions over and over then don't answer them. Not
everyone has your skill level or experience with Jeeps. Be patient with new
members, give them the facts along with your opinion but let them make their
own conclusions. Everyone's build and needs are different.
No sarcasm was given. You seem to have long winded thoughts that can be summed up really easy.
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #55
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
Wow, talk about bent out of shape for no reason.
I just reread what Drix posted, and find nothing offensive about it myself. Maybe I just have thicker skin though...
He did put some very good points across though, in my humble opinion of course, and did not come off as abusive to any member on here, including you Jonz. Maybe it's because he had the utter gaul to disagree with you?
Maybe want to edit that one mate, as it looks like you large fonted and bold rant was a total off base reply to a reasonable post.
Just my .02 though, and I'm sure a mod will be in here soon to clear up the weekly "I have a 4 banger and want more power" mess

Martin
Thanks. I had no intention of twisting his panties. Just summed it up what he was trying to say.
USMC Jeep Club #6
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #56
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

popcorn.jpg
While I watch the...
retard_ninja.jpg
Do this....
beating_a_dead_horse1.gif

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #57
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
Thanks. I had no intention of twisting his panties. Just summed it up what he was trying to say.
Not a problem mate. I saw nothing at all offensive in your post myself.

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #58
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
these threads are so funny. you have the 2.5 guys defending the little 4 banger and the godly i6 guys shuning anything not like theres. how many threads need to be made to figure out that the 4 cyl is slow but reliable? how much common sence do you need to know that a 4.0 or 4.2 would obviously have more power than a 2.5?? the 2.5 does fine everywhere but big hills on the highway, just deal with the fact that you'll be passed by school buses and semis going uphill

and the i6 guys have to step off their high horses too, they arent much of a power house in stock form either
well said sir!
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #59
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstnationslw View Post
Okay. So I've read all your replies and I've come to this conclusion. Some of you get it... and some you don't. I'm NOT selling this Jeep... No way am I spending 3k on turbo... and I don't have the time or the resources to be changing out motors, etc. In the last year, almost everything that tends to go when rigs get older has been replaced with brand new parts. I like the Jeep and I certainly never insinuated that I'm looking for a rocket... quite the contrary. A little extra power to help me up the hills is all I seek and thanks to you guys, I have lots of ideas... Thank you.

P.S. Those of you who call the 2.5 a POS and are stuck on big motors... In psychology, it's called "compensating". You require the something "big" to compensate for your own "small" equipment. Cheers!
Couldnt have said it any better myself.
I also have a 4 banger and am having problems with big hills on the highway. Do you know anything about changing the gear ratios? That is what I was thinking about myself but I have no idea of how much it cost or what ratio you would change it to.
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #60
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have done that also. What tire size are you running or want to run?

Tags
2.5 , power , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.