2.5 is VERY underpowered... What more can I do? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 is VERY underpowered... What more can I do?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Closed Thread
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #31
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny27030 View Post
Im running a soft top. Would love to find a hard top for the winter though
Found a hardtop and 2 doors for my child in Black Mountain NC for $185.00. Glad you didn't see them.

Unread 10-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
The 4 popper matches the military Jeep's powerplant fairly well. It has decent offroad power, and has no problems at all keeping up with military highway convoys. Thing is, military convoy speed limit is 50 MILES PER HOUR!

The YJ with a 4 popper is the perfect chick car for a high school cheerleader. Lots of flash, but no go, it is in the same league as a Mustang with a 4 popper. It is mostly a styling ride with good looks.

Sell what you have (to some HS girl) and get a 4.0 HO equipped Jeep. If you want something with some real go, get one that has had a V-8 installed along with some beefier axles.

AS most have mentioned, you will NEVER get a 4 popper in a YJ to perform. And you will notice that no one that claims their 2.5 was improved by spending money on it can seem to find a dynamometer to back up their claims.
I GUARANTEE you that NO HS girl in the history of mankind would EVER buy my 2.5 Iron Brute off of me. One good look and they will run on back to their KIA, besides, their parents want all the protection they can get. What safety rating do YJ's have? 1.5 stars?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #33
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

these threads are so funny. you have the 2.5 guys defending the little 4 banger and the godly i6 guys shuning anything not like theres. how many threads need to be made to figure out that the 4 cyl is slow but reliable? how much common sence do you need to know that a 4.0 or 4.2 would obviously have more power than a 2.5?? the 2.5 does fine everywhere but big hills on the highway, just deal with the fact that you'll be passed by school buses and semis going uphill

and the i6 guys have to step off their high horses too, they arent much of a power house in stock form either
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #34
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
these threads are so funny. you have the 2.5 guys defending the little 4 banger and the godly i6 guys shuning anything not like theres. how many threads need to be made to figure out that the 4 cyl is slow but reliable? how much common sence do you need to know that a 4.0 or 4.2 would obviously have more power than a 2.5?? the 2.5 does fine everywhere but big hills on the highway, just deal with the fact that you'll be passed by school buses and semis going uphill

and the i6 guys have to step off their high horses too, they arent much of a power house in stock form either
Well said. As a 2.5L owner, I know its slow, and will never be worth trying to squeeze more HP out of it. But taken care of, it is definitely reliable and plenty of power offroad... just not on the highway. Even with 35's and 4.10s, in 4LO I had no issues on hill climbs.

IMO the best course of action for anyone desiring horsepower is a v8 swap, or if they really like the I6 and not looking to do a conversion, a stroker build.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #35
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Horsepower never concerns me. It's drivetrain and gearing that I focus on. In my younger years I wheeled with Yota and Sammy guys and none of them had more than a 4 cylinder. Heck it was a treat if your motor was fuel injected. They had deep gears though and my one buddy was able to run stock gears with an 8-1 reduction in his t-case on his Sammy.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #36
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm, I was under the impression that the OP asked about upping the power etc on his 4 banger myself. So no need to get on your soap box bud.
Been there and done it myself, it will never have cost effective power upgrades that are worth anything IMHO. I tried them, then swapped in a built 4.3.
This is a public forum, and when someone asks for opinions, he is going to get them.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #37
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the 2.5 does fine everywhere but big hills on the highway, just deal with the fact that you'll be passed by school buses and semis going uphill
Anything less than 5% and it's good going uphill. The only highway grade in that percentage around here I was able to maintain the #2 lane (3 lanes) doing 65mph 4th gear, but of course that was with me only. I still think the E-fan upgrade is still plenty to free up HP. The 2.5 doesn't have a lot in it, but then again it doesn't need a lot more either since it can already manage to push a heavy glorified brick around town no problems.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #38
firstnationslw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay. So I've read all your replies and I've come to this conclusion. Some of you get it... and some you don't. I'm NOT selling this Jeep... No way am I spending 3k on turbo... and I don't have the time or the resources to be changing out motors, etc. In the last year, almost everything that tends to go when rigs get older has been replaced with brand new parts. I like the Jeep and I certainly never insinuated that I'm looking for a rocket... quite the contrary. A little extra power to help me up the hills is all I seek and thanks to you guys, I have lots of ideas... Thank you.

P.S. Those of you who call the 2.5 a POS and are stuck on big motors... In psychology, it's called "compensating". You require the something "big" to compensate for your own "small" equipment. Cheers!
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstnationslw View Post
P.S. Those of you who call the 2.5 a POS and are stuck on big motors... In psychology, it's called "compensating". You require the something "big" to compensate for your own "small" equipment. Cheers!
And on Jeepforum, it's called using the search function to read what has been posted and beaten to death on a weekly basis.
Nothing wrong with the 2.5, unless you want to go up a hill at a decent speed. Fact is, a bigger motor will maintain a speed up hill, and get the same MPG. I have swapped a few 4 bangers out now, and there are really no downsides to it.
Your call, your rig. Just no need to attempt to insult the folks that were trying to help you IMHO.
Oh well....'Till the next time this subject gets beaten to death. Should be a day or so until someone else rewords the same question and can't be bothered using either common sense or the search function

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #40
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
leftlanetruckin:Sarcasm is a wonderful thing...
i see what you did there
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #41
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
i see what you did there

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you want real power from your engine....

Replace the pistons with new 8:1 pistons, turbo\SC it which ever you prefer to about 10psi. Your bearings should be more than able to withstand 10psi as long as you don't beat it everywhere.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #43
firstnationslw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you should invest in a monster truck. Those are REALLY BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
And on Jeepforum, it's called using the search function to read what has been posted and beaten to death on a weekly basis.
Nothing wrong with the 2.5, unless you want to go up a hill at a decent speed. Fact is, a bigger motor will maintain a speed up hill, and get the same MPG. I have swapped a few 4 bangers out now, and there are really no downsides to it.
Your call, your rig. Just no need to attempt to insult the folks that were trying to help you IMHO.
Oh well....'Till the next time this subject gets beaten to death. Should be a day or so until someone else rewords the same question and can't be bothered using either common sense or the search function

Martin
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #44
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Really? That's it?
Hate to say it, but after your whopping 6 posts here, you have some learning to do bud. As said this has been beat to death, on a near weekly basis.
The fact that folks want to be able to maintain a set speed on any road has nothing to do with your childish remarks. It does have something to do with comfort and safety though.
Did I mention putting a BBC in there? Nope.
A suggestion of either a 4.3 or a 4.0 though is common sense....

Words you will NEVER hear a 4.0 Jeep owner say...."I sure wish I had bought a 4 cylinder instead"
Can the opposite be said? Hardly.
Like I said, been there and done it with the 2.5's. Take that real world experience as you will, no difference to me as I can maintain a given speed going up a hill and do not have loaded semi trucks overtaking me while doing so.

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #45
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. leftlanetruckin View Post
Words you will NEVER hear a 4.0 Jeep owner say...."I sure wish I had bought a 4 cylinder instead"
QFT

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Closed Thread

Tags
2.5 , power , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.