2.5 Performance Parts?????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 Performance Parts??????????

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
speedfreak331

2.5 Performance Parts??????????

Before any of you laugh at me (even if i deserve it). I am picking up a 2.5 off of another Jeep Forum member tomorrow. The 2.5 in my Jeep runs fine, but i wanted to rebuild another motor and swap it during a weekend. My question is, does anyone know of a company that makes an aftermarket camshaft for a 2.5?

I figure if i am going to do a total rebuild, i would put a little bigger cam in it.

All stock with 31x10.50's
speedfreak331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

nobody still makes an upgraded cam for that motor.

if you can find someone that has one for sale, they probably know what's it is worth.....

I have a mopar cam in mine that came with the jeep from the previous owner. i think the package said purple or blue cam or something like that. i installed it a day after buying the jeep. it's been the only mod, aside from borla header and snorkel that i think actually helped the 4 angry squirrels.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are rebuilding it anyway, you could shave the heads a bit to raise the compression a few points. On a motor this size a cam may only net you another 5 hp or so, but 5 here and 5 there might be noticeable
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
speedfreak331

I know that Crower Cams will regrind the cam, but i was just wondering what other options their are out there. Does anyone know if the TJ's 2.5 uses a bigger cam? Or does any one have the stock cam lift and duration?

Unread 03-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a Mopar cam in mine, didn't help. You have to tell yourself 'yeah, I think I can feel it' everytime you do to something to a 2.5. That motor is more of a money, time, and brainpower pit than any other. I wouldn't even bother rebuilding another. Get a better motor and rebuild that if you want, then swap it in whenever. The swap is a bigger deal, true, but you live with the better results long after the pain of the swap are gone.
Unread 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
TnTRacing28
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think i am one of the only fans of the 2.5. They are the best in deep water situations! had an 89 2.5 that went awsome through the mud until i added all the weight of a 355sbc. Plenty of power to blow the tires off but it really made plow in the fron end! Makes it kinda diffacult to pull out of a hole. In my opinion if you have a 4.2 change it to whatever you want. if you have a 2.5, leave it alone and go really big with lots of gear and all the v8 guys will be wondering how in the world you are making it through what they are getting hung up in!
TnTRacing28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I thought Hesco still made one.
Jesse-James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
speedfreak331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-James
I thought Hesco still made one.
Thank you very much!!! I was about to give up..........

And yes according to their website they still do make em!!!!!

Unread 03-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was under the impression nobody still made cams for the 2.5, my apologies. i just did some searching and hesco has everything you need.... search a bit on www.4bangerjp.com and you will come up with a lot about hesco. clifford performance also made one but i'm not sure if it's available still.

Firepower ignition would be a very good mod as well.... suprised i didn't think about that earlier.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.