2.5 overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 overheating

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
booyah93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 overheating

I am going to start working on this this weekend, but I though I would get some input over the next 2 days on where to start. (might as well do somehting at work lol)
just a week or 2 ago, the ol' YJ starting running really hot after a bunch of city driving. It has been hot as hell here when it does happen but she has been through many summers and it has never been an issue before.

She used to run hot on the highway, but fine in the city, but since I put the 35s on, I don't take her on highways anymore so this stopped being an issue.

So now, when driving, i can watch the temp rise until I turn on the heat which works really well, but this obviously needs to be fixed.
The one time the guage was sitting at around 3/4 and I left the heat off since I would be home soon, the overflow bottle boiled over like crazy when I shut off the engine.

Since the coolant is circulating fine when the heat is on, can I assume that the water pump is fine? I replaced it a couple years ago.
Also, shouldn't this mean that the rad is fine? since there is flow?

I guess this leaves the t-stat. or fan clutch Anyway, just though I would get some input on where to start on saturday.

Thanks in advance.

8.8 sitting there waiting to go in!
booyah93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fan clutch or corroded radiator most likely. Flush the radiator and check the clutch; both are cheap to try!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
booyah93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just a simple home flush? or bring it to and hook it up?
8.8 sitting there waiting to go in!
booyah93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.