2.5 Muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 Muffler

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 Muffler

So after finally deciding to look into the obnoxious rattle coming from the rear of my jeep, I realized that I need to replace my muffler AGAIN. I've already replaced it twice. The first one was the original and was rusted out, the seam on the side of the next one broke, and the internals on the current muffler have broken. I would really love to get one that doesn't need to be replaced every two years. Are any specific brands stronger or more durable than others? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeepwrangler89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have run dynomax mufflers on all of my Jeeps and have been very happy with them. 70k miles on my last DD XJ and it was still together and didn't get terribly loud with age. My most current build I used a Thrush to save a few bucks. But I can not speak for its longevity since I have not put 50 miles on it since its install.
Unread 12-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put a Dynomax on mine last year and it is still good, but we don't have salt. I also put a Magnaflow catalytic converter on it at the same time, it was a little loud at first but it seems to have quite down over time or at least became a warmer tone.

The only reason I bought it was that it was the cheapest non-crush tube cat back I could find and my stock one was very holy.
Unread 12-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I put a Dynomax on mine last year and it is still good, but we don't have salt. I also put a Magnaflow catalytic converter on it at the same time, it was a little loud at first but it seems to have quite down over time or at least became a warmer tone.

The only reason I bought it was that it was the cheapest non-crush tube cat back I could find and my stock one was very holy.
same setup here.

magnaflo ultra flow cat + dynomax super turbo on a 2.5L. i also wemt full headers on it - so i think that makes it a bit louder than it would be.

been only about 8000 miles. but works well. throaty growl tone
Unread 12-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
ThatGuyCollin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run a flowmaster muffler and cat. They've been on for about 2k miles. I also put headers on like bruinjeeper, they are the pacesetter ones. It has a nice low tone and doesn't sound like a weedeater at higher rpms. Now I just need some turbo whistle lol.
Unread 12-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't waste money on the unproven claims that sell the named "performance" mufflers

I go with Walker SoundFX direct fit OEM style replacement from Rock Auto. $24

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...p?make=JEEP&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=4bs37itj758n2rpif5lkq6sli2
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
ThatGuyCollin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FYI I didn't buy it for performance, the 2.5 will never have performance. My entire exhaust was poorly welded together and had a cracked muffler and gutted cat when I bought it so I replaced everything with flowmaster because it wasn't too pricey for a complete exhaust and it sounds sweet.
Unread 12-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
I don't waste money on the unproven claims that sell the named "performance" mufflers

I go with Walker SoundFX direct fit OEM style replacement from Rock Auto. $24

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...p?make=JEEP&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=4bs37itj758n2rpif5lkq6sli2
I didn't buy it for performance either. My cat was gutted and the cat back was rusted out. The Magnaflow cat was the cheapest I could find, and the dynomax cat back was the cheapest I could find that was not crush tube. The OE replacement crush tube was more expensive than the dynomax.
Unread 12-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I didn't buy it for performance either. My cat was gutted and the cat back was rusted out. The Magnaflow cat was the cheapest I could find, and the dynomax cat back was the cheapest I could find that was not crush tube. The OE replacement crush tube was more expensive than the dynomax.
Same.

But I do like the growl
Unread 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
csmit328
1989 YJ Wrangler 

While you're replacing exhaust pieces you could go ahead and replace the down pipe with a TJ style pipe. It runs the pipe in the gap between the oil pan and bell housing so it doesn't get smashed or ripped off.
csmit328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
ThatGuyCollin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmit328 View Post
While you're replacing exhaust pieces you could go ahead and replace the down pipe with a TJ style pipe. It runs the pipe in the gap between the oil pan and bell housing so it doesn't get smashed or ripped off.
My pacesetter headers came with a down pipe that followed the above path. My stock exhaust manifold was cracked, I didn't want another cast one or the Banks header...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.