2.5 L water pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 L water pump replacement

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
ZonaWrangler

2.5 L water pump replacement

Hi,

I'm currently replacing my water pump. I did this once before with someone who knew what they were doing and it seemed pretty easy. Anyway, I remember we removed the fan clutch. I see that it has 4 bolts on it, but they seem to be lock bolts, and when I try and turn them, the tension of the belt is not enough to get them off. HELP, how do I remove my fan clutch?

TIA

Unread 06-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First remove the belt. Then hold the fan blade with one hand and turn the bolts with the other!
Rhino70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
ZonaWrangler

How do I get the belt off?
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

By the power steering pump.
do a search on power steering pump removal...
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
ZonaWrangler

I don't have power steering. Sorry, I'm a mechanical moron.
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
ZonaWrangler

Ok, I found a few things that explain it. Thanks.
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Rhino70
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also drive a 95 rio grande and you should have power steering...that water pump is super easy to do, just take your time and be sure to seal it good with the rtv.
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on what year rig you are working on. My 90 had 2 v belts (before I yanked that sorry excuse for an engine out of its hidey hole) and the alternator belt was in front of the power steering belt. To remove the nuts I just use a screw driver to pry against a nut on the other side and the fan shaft and turn the wrench with the other hand. Go around and do all 4 then just take them off the rest of the way easily. The fan will probably be pretty snug/rusty on the water pump shaft so you might have to smack it around a bit with your palms (NOT hammer). I like to wait til I get the fan off before I remove the belts just for the extra help the tension gives in removing the fan nuts. After the belts are off then the pulley will come off and the rest should be self explanitory.
If you are working on a later one then the only real different is the belt is longer and wraps around everything.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
ZonaWrangler

It's a 95 with AC. I have another car to drive, so it's no rush. I did it before with a friend in an afternoon, so I know it's not that bad. But I remember we removed the belt and I think the entire fan blade assembly came off too. Not sure I am looking at the right 4 bolts, they are on the back of the fan clutch itself?
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
ZonaWrangler

It does NOT have power steering. However, it's the same setup. Box and a pump ... it's got power steering. The pulley is there for it.
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino70 View Post
First remove the belt. Then hold the fan blade with one hand and turn the bolts with the other!
Good answer!
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
ZonaWrangler

I realize a water pump should be an afternoon job .... but I'm an idiot. That throws a whole new dynamic into the situation.
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can also push down on the belt, (hard), with one hand to hold the fan from spinning. Another tip: clean the gasket surface on the engine very carefully so not to leave any old gasket material if you want to avoid leakage! And.... when you install the new gasket, use a very thin bead of RTV, (blue),down the center of both sides of the gasket and around any bolt holes or water passages. Do not use too much RTV as the excess will squish out and clog the heater core. Finally, when you refill with coolant, make sure you purge the air from the system.

Lastly, spend the $$$ for a new pump if you can, the re-builds can be a crap shoot!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
WhiteYJLA
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Message me I'll send you the instructions from the manual.
WhiteYJLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.