2.5 l engine life.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 l engine life....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
ARVENO

2.5 l engine life....

Hi how are you guys doing !!

I have a question about 2.5l engine's life....
How many miles can run a 4 cylinder ?
Of course ,i am talking about an engine well kept and with regular maintenance schedule..
why this question ?
Cause my engine is idling rough, but it run great ! after 5 days spent in my garage trying to figure what's wrong....
...I finally gave up and ask to a "good mechanic" in town..
He told that maybe the engine it's tired...and would need rebuiding....
I just thought " screw you " i don't think so , cause my engine has 100 K
and never went off road and has been treated very well....so far.
but I have this bug in my head....and i wonder how long could IT last...??

thanks
Arveno

ARVENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

175,000 on mine, up keep has been poor until recent and I have had it since 93'. Yeah young and dumb and didnt know better. Butttt it still runs like a champ after replacing the vacuum lines and a few censors here and there.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

They routinely get 200000 plus miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Get a new mechanic.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

170,000 miles on my 95. No signs of fatigue yet. Runs like the day it was new. My son drove it for 4 years of college and 4 years after that. I've been driving it ever since. Just average care. Replaced Water Pump once and starter once. That's it. Not many engines can make that claim.

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.
gary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

With a well maintained 2.5l, I would expect 200K or more. Unless you are the original owner, it would be impossible to know if any previous damage was done. I would perform a compression check on each cylinder and report back with your findings. This would help to either confirm or deny your mechanics diagnosis. You could simply be suffering from a bad sensor or clogged exhaust, or even fuel delivery. Until you perform this test, we really don't know. What exactly are your symptoms?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
ARVENO

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
With a well maintained 2.5l, I would expect 200K or more. Unless you are the original owner, it would be impossible to know if any previous damage was done. I would perform a compression check on each cylinder and report back with your findings. This would help to either confirm or deny your mechanics diagnosis. You could simply be suffering from a bad sensor or clogged exhaust, or even fuel delivery. Until you perform this test, we really don't know. What exactly are your symptoms?

HI, I am the third owner , and the last owner,had it for 10 years....and he kept the jeep really well maintened...

while driving i have no problem...runs strong in every gear,up the hill too...

but when i'm stand still, the engine " sometimes,stumble "....it runs good and sometimes runs rough....it's like an up and down...runs good for 20 second than runs rough..and the vibrations increase....than runs good...again..and that rough...
the idle it's ok cause it's around 850/950 rpm...
but i checked for vacuum leaks,and there is not leaks...( i could be wrong..too)
but if i would have vacuum leaks the idle would go up on RPM....correct ?
I checked all the throttle body bolts,and they are ok ! no loosen bolts...
In my area NY ( rockland county) there is nothing AT ALL....
I mean no trustable mechanic....

good to ear the the 4 cylinder last ..LONG....

the exhaust is NEW.....complete...
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
bumati
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have 200000+ on mine. It has had a tough life spinning 33s. On the third transmission, thus time it's an ax15. Rebuilt head its like a new motor. No ticking or weak #3!
bumati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So along the lines with your original concern with the mechanics gloomy diagnosis, the only way to refute it is to perform a cylinder compression test. I suspect that your motor is fine given the low mileage, but with you being the third owner, you only have the previous owner's reassurance that timely maintenance was performed. A 2.5L can easily succumb to poor maintenance within that mileage. That being said, you need to see were it stands. Perform a compression test. If good then look elsewhere. Do you have any codes stored?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine got 185k miles before I rebuilt it, and I don't think it was well taken care of before I got it. I only put the last 10k miles on it. It probably would have run a while longer, when I took it apart the only issues were worn out cylinders (by 0.036"!) and a slightly damaged exhaust valve. Nothing that would have caused the motor to fail, but the worn cylinders were causing a major compression leak which was blowing oil out of the engine all over the place.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What year is the Jeep? Also - do you have any idea whether or not the O2 sensor has been replaced, etc?
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's just a baby, get a new mechanic indeed.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
ARVENO

...i've found a place,machine shop who has a garage/maintenace too,i'll stop by tomorrow to ask,have been told is a really good shop where they build a lot of v8 for hod rod and stuff like that,so i guess it's a place where i'll meet someone who really knows about engines..hoping will be honest...

my jeep is a YJ 89 , it's completely rust free...kept garaged and never went off road.
it's stock 100% no lift etc..
I can see that the brake lines are new,and the coil and and wires are new too.
I put new radiator,and i have the shop installed the new gas tank cause the original did leak but when filled up smelled fuel so i put a new one and from that day my problem started....
The shop told me Oh ! your jeep runs great but it's a little rough..
I said " dude,when i drove my jeep here, everything was fine...
so i left cause i've understood he was i "******"
I am thinking that "maybe" something could be wrong regarding the new gas tank installation...
I've the sensation that the problem is the fuel system.....
It's like ( i know a lot about old harleys...) when your bike carb is not well tuned so it's does not idle well.....
if you open the throttle the bike runs good but when stand still...does not !

But with TBI and all that electrical stuff,i don't know much...
if i lean my foot on the accelerator pedal not pushing to much but just slightly...it's runs and idle well...
that make me think that something around the "fuel system,is missing...

The engine does not leak oil at all,and does not smoke...which it's a good sign !
thanks everybody for your help....
I'll put update tomorrow...
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the 2.5 l engine also, and while it doesn't leak oil onto the ground or burn off lots of oil, It does have some wicked blow by on the back two pistons. Like everyone said, check the compression for each cylinder. Also look at the spark plugs and use a hayes or chilton manual to diagnose the wear on them, it can tell you a lot about the condition of your engine.
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
angelsinraver
1988 YJ Wrangler 

my engine does the exact same thing, let me know what your next mechanic says. oh yea i got the 2.5 with 240k+ miles on it.
angelsinraver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.