2.5 inch Lift Advice For a Noob - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Berzerk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
2.5 inch Lift Advice For a Noob

Hi everyone, I plan on buying a RC 2.5 inch lift kit within the next few weeks. I've already been blasting every bolt with liquid wrench every day in hopes that I won't run into any big issues taking any bolts off. I'm buying the kit that includes 4 springs, 4 shocks, u bolts and hardware. I'm thinking about buying a t case drop just in case because a lot of the reviews I've read says that they needed to install the t case drop. I've also read some people needing to replace the steering stabilizer and a few other parts. I do not have a lot of knowledge in lift specifics, but I'm pretty confident that me and my buddy can get this lift in within a weekend or so. Is there any tips or tricks that I should know before starting this lift? Or any parts that will be necessary with the 2.5 inch kit such as steering stabilizer etc. Being in college, I'm kind of on a budget, but I will get whatever is needed. I use my jeep as a daily and some light off road so I wouldn't be needing parts for anything serious for the time being. Thanks everybody in advance and I will post updates!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

My advice is not to buy that kit. No you don't need a steering stabilizer, you can use one if you want but you don't need one.

Personally at the price of roughly $450 + shipping, I would recommend buying 4 springs from OME or BDS, then get a set of skyjacker hydro shocks, then a cheap set of u-bolts (only because yours are crazy old). I'll bet you can do all that, have a better set up and be less than $100 over the RC budget.

Obviously it's your money and you can spend it on anything you want, but you won't want to spend it again and with that kit you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you've done some good research already, which is good.

Rough Country doesn't get the best reviews from most people here, so that would be my biggest concern for you. You may want to check out other options like OME, Zone, BDS and Rubicon Express. Zone is another budget-friendly kit that seems to get pretty good reviews.

I would replace all the shackle and frame bushings. The frame bushings are typically not included in the lift kits. If you have rust issues, you may also want to replace all of the shackle and frame bolts. Tractor Supply has a good selection of larger bolts in my area - check them out, if you have one close by.

In the front, boomerang shackles may help prevent spring inversion, if you take it off-road at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Berzerk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
This idea has crossed my mind and totally blew right past me. I've tried to find a decent leaf/shock combo like OME and Skyjacker but by the time I got 4 springs, 4 shocks, bushings, u bolts, and hardware it was close to $800 but at that point I might as well go for a Rubicon Express or another nice kit. Do you recommend a website that has good prices on leaf springs and shocks? I really do like the idea because of the reviews on RC but I figured RC was easy enough and straight forward, but I would prefer expanding out into a nice leaf/shock combo that isn't too pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
My advice is not to buy that kit. No you don't need a steering stabilizer, you can use one if you want but you don't need one.

Personally at the price of roughly $450 + shipping, I would recommend buying 4 springs from OME or BDS, then get a set of skyjacker hydro shocks, then a cheap set of u-bolts (only because yours are crazy old). I'll bet you can do all that, have a better set up and be less than $100 over the RC budget.

Obviously it's your money and you can spend it on anything you want, but you won't want to spend it again and with that kit you will.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

BDS 2" springs are $107.16 ea, you can order them direct through BDS part #004200 they will ship free to a local dealer.
I don't know the part number or where to order the OME springs, but I think they're basically the same price. They both used to be under $100 per spring.

I'd keep saving. I actually saved and bought parts for two years before I did the first incarnation of suspension on mine. The last incarnation say 12" of stretch on super flexy springs and I paid less than $140 for all of my springs. Maybe do a google search for "YJ S10 bastard pack" you may be surprised at what you can accomplish for little to no money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Berzerk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Awesome man, thanks! I really appreciate the help and input

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
BDS 2" springs are $107.16 ea, you can order them direct through BDS part #004200 they will ship free to a local dealer. I don't know the part number or where to order the OME springs, but I think they're basically the same price. They both used to be under $100 per spring. I'd keep saving. I actually saved and bought parts for two years before I did the first incarnation of suspension on mine. The last incarnation say 12" of stretch on super flexy springs and I paid less than $140 for all of my springs. Maybe do a google search for "YJ S10 bastard pack" you may be surprised at what you can accomplish for little to no money.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend this kit:

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...p-wrangler/j27

I've had the springs on my Jeep for over 2 years. No sag and good flex. DO NOT put your track bars back on when you install the lift. Your Jeep and your back will thank you. I have not ran my track bars nor my sway bars for over 5 years and I have not noticed any problems with the handling or stability and It flexes and allows the suspension to work a lot better.

-John-

post #8 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Berzerk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've been seriously considering this kit, although i don't know how low it would sit versus a 2.5 inch because I haven't seen any YJ's with a 2" zone kit but I've heard nothing but positive reviews and I would not be against a small shackle lift if I wanted it up a little higher. If you have any pictures of your yj with this set up could you shoot me a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68
I'd recommend this kit: http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...p-wrangler/j27 I've had the springs on my Jeep for over 2 years. No sag and good flex. DO NOT put your track bars back on when you install the lift. Your Jeep and your back will thank you. I have not ran my track bars nor my sway bars for over 5 years and I have not noticed any problems with the handling or stability and It flexes and allows the suspension to work a lot better.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerk View Post
I've been seriously considering this kit, although i don't know how low it would sit versus a 2.5 inch because I haven't seen any YJ's with a 2" zone kit but I've heard nothing but positive reviews and I would not be against a small shackle lift if I wanted it up a little higher. If you have any pictures of your yj with this set up could you shoot me a picture?
Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures with the Zone springs but here's one with my old 1.5" Superlift springs and 5/8" lift boomerang lift shackles on 33" tires:

Here's a poser pic with the Zone springs (those are ford shocks).

-John-

post #10 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are right that once you add everything together, it is basically the price of a kit. BUT, you get the things that YOU need when you buy separately.

The best 2.5 lift will be something like this:
  • 4 springs from OME. All the same heavy duty, you don't need different front/rear like they suggest. These springs last a very long time without sagging and are very comfortable
  • New OME bushings, OME uses non standard eyelet sizes, buy their bushing kits.
  • 4 new Bilstein shocks, send a message to Kolak on the forum, he has decent prices (not necessarily the absolute lowest) he will make sure you get the correct ones without much effort on your part.. I ordered mine from him through the messenger service, and so have a lot of other people here.
  • No new steering stabilizer (as suggested) Unless your current one is frozen up. Kolak asked for the upsell here, but I declined.
  • I would also recommend new angled greasable shackles. Mostly so you don't have to fight with your current ones, cut them off if necessary.
  • New U-bolts and nuts so you can cut the old ones off.
    Remove your front/rear trac bar. If you don't like how the jeep drives without them, you can put them back but you need to build a relocation bracket. Most people here go without them if their local government allows it.

Your teeth will thank you for the upgrade over "ROUGH" country, Good luck!
post #11 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 AM
steamfitter

I have the RC 3.25" kit on my JK and didn't need the transfer case drop or steering stabilizer. So you shouldn't need it for the RC 2.5" kit. For me the RC kit isn't bad at all for what I use it for. I mainly use it for camping, light trails and the beach and I'm happy with the ride. If I were to really wheel it, then I have to agree with the others here and say go with a better kit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 AM
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go with OME springs...

Q-Tec OME CSO36R 103.55 each (4)
Q-Tec OME Bushings 31.35 each (4)
Rancho Hydro H7000 43.44 each (4)

source your U Bolts locally.

I have all this info because its my Order for Q-Tec this Friday!
cyoos likes this.

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #13 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Berzerk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That second picture is exactly what I'm going for! Crazy how much space those flat fenders give ya. Awesome Jeep man

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures with the Zone springs but here's one with my old 1.5" Superlift springs and 5/8" lift boomerang lift shackles on 33" tires:

Here's a poser pic with the Zone springs (those are ford shocks).

post #14 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Sprungover

Quote:
Hi everyone, I plan on buying a RC 2.5 inch lift kit within the next few weeks. I've already been blasting every bolt with liquid wrench every day in hopes that I won't run into any big issues taking any bolts off. I'm buying the kit that includes 4 springs, 4 shocks, u bolts and hardware. I'm thinking about buying a t case drop just in case because a lot of the reviews I've read says that they needed to install the t case drop. I've also read some people needing to replace the steering stabilizer and a few other parts. I do not have a lot of knowledge in lift specifics, but I'm pretty confident that me and my buddy can get this lift in within a weekend or so. Is there any tips or tricks that I should know before starting this lift? Or any parts that will be necessary with the 2.5 inch kit such as steering stabilizer etc. Being in college, I'm kind of on a budget, but I will get whatever is needed. I use my jeep as a daily and some light off road so I wouldn't be needing parts for anything serious for the time being. Thanks everybody in advance and I will post updates!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l.../#post33215922

1989 YJ, 1977 CJ-7
post #15 of 30 Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That second picture is exactly what I'm going for! Crazy how much space those flat fenders give ya. Awesome Jeep man
Thanks

I really like my tube fenders!

-John-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.