2.5 FI & 2.5 Carb; Motor Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 FI & 2.5 Carb; Motor Swap

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
fourwheelnguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 FI & 2.5 Carb; Motor Swap

First off, I've been a member for a while but have never posted because all of my questions are answered already. So thanks to all who have previously posted and helped me out tremendously!

Here's what I have going on right now and can't find a post relating to exactly what I'm asking. Maybe you can point me in the right direction if I've missed it. I have a 94 with a 2.5l FI and 203k on the clock. (Shes tired, worn out, making oil etc etc) I've contemplated the diesel swap or bigger motors etc. but right now I have to be a little more money conscious so I'm hoping to go 2.5 to 2.5 for money issues so I don't have to change anything else. For me the 2.5 does what I ask it to. I mainly use her as a DD and weekend cruiser.

A guy that lives about a half mile from me has a 90 yj with a 2.5 that he is completing a 4.0 swap on right now but he has offered his engine up for sale. The only problem is mine is FI and his is carb. Can I take his and swap it into mine as a carb unit? Or maybe even better can I just use the motor and put my intake and everything on and make the motor an FI? Can I make something work, or do I just need to continue searching for an FI motor?

Has anybody done this? What's your thoughts? What else do I need to consider? Again, appreciate all of the help.

fourwheelnguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Put your/exhaust manifold and all sensors on. The TBI is better than the carb.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Intake exhaust and all sensor and keep your TBI

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 1990 was tbi not carb'd. If it is a carb then no you can't use it. If it is the TBI then you can swap the upper end stuff right over and you are good to go.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
fourwheelnguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses and I apologize about the mix up between carb and TBI. When you say swap the upper side stuff over and you're good to go are you saying to take the intake manifold and stuff from my FI unit and put on the current TBI unit and run the motor as FI? Would you guys choose TBI over FI? Would I have to change crank sensors or anything very technical? Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You swap the manifold and all the sensors on the engine. Use the flywheel and crank sensor from your engine. The tbi control is way different and no way should you go to the tbi setup. The swap is easy.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
fourwheelnguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great! I think I'm going to give it a shot. As always thanks again!!!
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Document what you are doing. Siva is sending me stuff he had left over and I am looking at doing the same thing to mine. I will help you out a you go through and do the swap.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

interested in the same swap as well
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
fourwheelnguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

We looked at the two Jeeps side by side last night. One of the guys who is planning to help with the swap was saying that he thinks in order to run the TBI engine as FI you would have to use the head off of the FI engine. He said he does not think that swapping the FI intake to the TBI motor will allow for the injectors. However, I did a quick search on a website for replacement head for my FI model and they are showing everything from an '86 to a '95 as working?! This guy has done a heck of a lot more motor swapping than I have, but everything I've seen (and you guys have told me) is that the injectors should swap right over by using my intake.
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
fourwheelnguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to give everybody an update... looks like the deal fell through. I'm not able to purchase the motor anymore. I'm now just looking at remanned motors. Anybody have any luck? Any suggestions of who to stay away from or maybe who to go with? (I'm sure there are horror stories with every manufacturer there is) I was thinking about going the route of the motors where you use your valve cover, front cover, and oil pan. Any thoughts? Thanks for all of the help.

Tags
2.5l , carburator , fuel injection , motor swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.