2.5 engine timing problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 engine timing problem

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Trytan74
1991 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 engine timing problem

Ok been working for days trying to find the problem with the spark but just today found was the shutdown relay that was preventing me from getting enough spark to the distributor to make the jump to the plugs but that is no longer the issue. lol OK now I am getting very bad backfires and explosions ...lol I figure its got to be a timing issue now but the Hynes and the Chilton books both say that you cant adjust the timing on the 2.5. I did however mark on the block where the first plug wire is located and then pulled the cap and manually rotated the crankshaft till the notch in the pully and the 0 mark was lined up and then looked and the rotor was very close to the mark I made. everytime I let off the cranking I get a good backfire and I tried to put alittle gas down into it and got a nice 3 foot flame shot up out of it...lol Well any suggestions on what to try next I really do need. Thanks for reading this.

Trytan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Verk86z

To set the timing, which is specified in the manual, cylinder one has to be in TDC. With the distributor pulled, look down in and the drive gear has a slot in it and can be turned with a longer screwdriver until it is approximately between the three and four o'clock position. Then it's as simple as dropping in your distributor, but make sure your rotor is at approximately at the 5 o'clock position when it is completely bottomed out . The only way you can adjust your timing otherwise is to have the distributor either one tooth advanced or retarded and it will not seem to run right, I learned the hard way. Hope this helps
Verk86z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Trytan74
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I pulled the plug and turned the crankshaft and it is now a TDC and the rotor button is just slightly off from where the first plug post is. I do know from when I put the Distributor in it will go down in 2 ways aprox 180 degrees diff. So I try to pull the distributor back out and turn it the 180 degrees and drop it back down in?
Trytan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Verk86z

Make sure that you have No. 1 cylinder on TDC of the compression stroke. An easy way to tell is to pull the spark plug and put your finger over the hole while cranking the motor SLOWLY with a WRENCH or SOCKET. You will feel the air pushing out against your finger. If you don't feel anything then it is on the exhaust stroke. The rotor will probably be slightly off from where the first post is for the spark plug. But double check to make sure you are on the right stroke or the distributor will be 180 degrees off.
Verk86z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trytan74 View Post
Well I pulled the plug and turned the crankshaft and it is now a TDC and the rotor button is just slightly off from where the first plug post is. I do know from when I put the Distributor in it will go down in 2 ways aprox 180 degrees diff. So I try to pull the distributor back out and turn it the 180 degrees and drop it back down in?
It sounds exactly like what happens when the distributor is 180* off from where it should be (ie. you're at TDC on the exhaust stroke). Just pull it, rotate the crank one more time, and reinstall. Should fire right up.
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.