2.5 cranks but wont start...Cold start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 cranks but wont start...Cold start

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 07-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 cranks but wont start...Cold start

88 YJ with TBI 2.5 ax5. Ok first a bit of history...went out wheeling 2 weeks ago and ingested enough mud and water to clog up the air filter and stall out the motor in mud and water up to the side steps. A buddy pulled me out after she wouldn't start but turned over fine. A bit of remove the air filter and pull the plugs ect ect I was back down the trail and good. Two days later the starter crapped out due to the fact it was packed with mud and silt. I replaced that and it turned over fine but no start...after a bit of investigating I cut the muffler off and she started up. Put on a Cherry Bomb muffler and she ran a bit rough for a few days but was great after that for about 3 days. Now she idles much better than she did before and is smoother running but...

First thing in the morning she will crank and crank but don't want to start. If I give it a quick shot of either she will start right up and continue to run fine. When it has been doing this I've had a friend look in the TB as I was cranking it and it's getting fuel and I can hear the pump run when I first turn the key on. It's had a new fuel pump and filter installed within the past 7 months. This is only a first start of the morning thing. after sitting for 8 hours at work she will start right up but every morning she complains and don't want to start without a shot of juice. The battery cable was disconnected for a day or so while i got a new starter and installed it so the computer has been reset from that. In fact that's when the whole issue started...after I put the new starter in. Any ideas on what might be the issue? I would think if it's the CPS giving it a shot of juice would make no difference at all in the starting.

l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Problem has gotten worse. Now it just cranks and cranks but wont start. It's not getting fuel. Pump is working fine but the injector is not. I have pulled the injector out and cleaned off the screens and sometimes it will cough and sputter but takes forever to start. I don't think it's the injector because it will after lots of cranking fire up and run. It will start right away with a shot of either so it's getting spark but no fuel. Could my ECM be bad? any way of testing it short of buying a new one? Any help would be great as this is my only transportation right now.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

found this in wiki. alot of people have stalling issues and have replaced a ton of parts, but I havent heard much from anyone on changing the O2 sensor. I had a starting and stalling issue with mine and I changed this sensor and it ran fine.

Quote:
The engine control unit (ECU) is a control system that uses feedback from the O2 sensor to adjust the fuel/air mixture. As in all control systems, the time constant of the sensor is important; the ability of the ECU to control the fuel-air-ratio depends upon the response time of the sensor. An aging or fouled sensor tends to have a slower response time, which can degrade system performance. The shorter the time period, the higher the so-called "cross count" [1] and the more responsive the system

IMO
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
ebbaYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds exactly like what my YJ is doing to me.. Except if I tap on the computer it usually starts for me, but today it didn't do anything besides crank.. Where about's have you been spraying the ether?
ebbaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rebuild I'll try that...going to disko the batt and try it tomorrow afternoon after it's memory has been wiped. Then I'll look into the O2 sensor if it still does it.

ebbaYJ I've been taking the intake cap off and giving it a quick shot (1/2-1 sec) right down the TB and then put the cap back on before I start it.
I'll have to try the "Tap" on the computer but my tap is getting ready to be a 2lb sledge LOL
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.