2.5 conversion to what and how much - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 conversion to what and how much

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #1
my litte red yj

2.5 conversion to what and how much

well i got bad news from my trans shop $1200 worth of work now, i got news back from engine shop $1100 worth of bad news i have a rolling frame in my garage no rust it will cost me $1500(both) for used part's for new part's $2200 (both) if i am going to spend that kind of money what is a good engine and trans to drop in, i am running 4;11 gears i own 2 chrysler product's and there weak LINK IS ENGINE AND TRANS TO BAD!!!!!!

my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
iamthemellowman

no idea where you might want to go.. i would think a ford *ducks* 302 out of the '86+ vintage mustangs would be great since it would be cheap and easily available. as for parts.. i'm sure you know of www.advanceadapters.com
Unread 01-29-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
my litte red yj

YEA I WAS THINKING OF THAT BUT WHAT??? TRANS AND TRANSFERCASE DO I USE
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:52 AM   #4
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anything you want.

Auto: C4, C6, E4OD, etc.
Manual: T5, T-18, NV4500
T-case: NP205, 207, 208, 231, Dana 18, 20, 300, Atlas 2

Do some research on engine swaps and find out which is best for you. Chevy 350's are readily available, but have the distributor in the back of the block, making for possible firewall interfernce poblems under flex. Chevy manual trannys and plentiful, and have many options for t-cases.

Ford engines have almost the same amount of options, so just find out what you want.

We swapped out a 2.5 and put in a 4.0L. Lots of wiring, nuts, bolts and fluids, but it can be done.

Be careful when you put in a V-8. With that kind of power you'll be snapping axleshafts and bending housings in no time. If you go to a V-8 swap you might want to look into new axles also. The D30 and D35 you have now will not be able to hold up under heavy throttle.
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
blazer

Quote:
Originally posted by my litte red yj:
well i got bad news from my trans shop $1200 worth of work now, i got news back from engine shop $1100 worth of bad news i have a rolling frame in my garage no rust it will cost me $1500(both) for used part's for new part's $2200 (both) if i am going to spend that kind of money what is a good engine and trans to drop in, i am running 4;11 gears i own 2 chrysler product's and there weak LINK IS ENGINE AND TRANS TO BAD!!!!!!
I have a 92 wrangler with a 4cyl,and I'm thinking of putting a 4.3ltr and a 700r4 auto. I'm still waiting on answers myself. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. Blazer
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 01:55 PM   #6
my litte red yj

well i made my final choice/// i am rebuilding my 2.5 for around $1200 rebuilding my trans for around$500 i found a place NATIONAL DRIVE TRAIN who has trans part's at a good price my friend is a mechanic so he is fixing it for me i also had to replace my steering shaft. Now why i went this way well first is emmission's here in conn they are tough 2nd to go throught all that computer to hook it all up to work and change all the wiring forget it 3rd the axles are light duty they will not last long if i put a Ford 302 in it ,how long will they last! the only way to do a conversion is buy a rolling frame but way to expencive and time comsuming so that is all as i was doing my engine work i sent out my front fender to get the rust out of them cleaned my frame undercoated it replaced all thing that were worn out so right now i have $2000 in it my labor i would do it your self it will save you a lot of money in the long run
Unread 02-09-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
95yj-4 cyl

If you're interested, ACME (www.acmejeepparts.com) has remanufactured 2.5 (backed by a 3 yr-60,000 mile warranty) that they sell for $1,595 (free shipping for the engine, plus free frieght for returning your old one--a like core motor is required). They also have other motors for anyone who's interested.
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
95yj-4 cyl

If you're interested, ACME (www.acmejeepparts.com) has remanufactured 2.5 (backed by a 3 yr-60,000 mile warranty) that they sell for $1,595 (free shipping for the engine, plus free frieght for returning your old one--a like core motor is required). They also have other motors for anyone who's interested.
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.