2.5+AX15 swap complete! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5+AX15 swap complete!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #31
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I rocked it with no problems. My 2.5 was getting long in the tooth, so my AX15 is behind the 5.2 I'm swapping in.

Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
MrMoparNY
2003 WJ 

Great write up, now that I own a sizeable lot, with a huge old storage building, I can start pickin up cheap donor vehicles and have plenty of room to store them...I've had to send some good stuff to the the scrap yard in the past, that I wish I had back...
MrMoparNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #33
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After what seems like a Coon's age I have finally got my rebuilt AX15 behind my 2.5L with a rebuilt np231/SYE and CV shafts front and rear. However, I have not yet driven the Jeep except to move it forwards and backwards in my driveway.

Observations.
-The clutch has lost resistance but seems to be working just fine as far as engagement goes... does it need bled? (I have a prebled external slave unit)

-The AX5/NP231 T-case shifter does not work (obviously) is there a way to modify it or am I stuck looking for a 4.0/ax15 T-case shifter assembly? (I want my 4wd back!)

And that's all for now... I need to bleed my brakes and take it for a spin around the block to see how it shifts, so till then gents.

-Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
smallJEEP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a reason i can not use my 94 4 cyl bell housing with external slave.. and bolt the ax-15 to it. i was told they were the same pattern. if i need a Dakota bell housing can i not use the trans from the Dakota? what trans did the Dakota come with?
smallJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
Jdh95jeep

I have 95 yj and just completed the modify everything swap. Do I have to modify my skid plate? And also I did not change the pilot bearing. Will this be a problem? Also my slave was already external and bolted rite up. That have to be modified? This is driving me f#$&@! Crazy! ! Spent almost $1600 so far.
Jdh95jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdh95jeep View Post
I have 95 yj and just completed the modify everything swap. Do I have to modify my skid plate? And also I did not change the pilot bearing. Will this be a problem? Also my slave was already external and bolted rite up. That have to be modified? This is driving me f#$&@! Crazy! ! Spent almost $1600 so far.
If your skid plate has slotted holes already (like mine did) you are good to go.
I would have changed that pilot bearing. I don't want to be a bummer, but most likely you will have issues. Did the AX15 snout fit the existing pilot?
Did you buy everything new? Mine wasn't that pricey...
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

$1600?? I spent maybe $500 on the swap, including the transmission and transfer case.

Pilot bearing should have been changed. Since you already had it apart, a few extra dollars for a new pilot bearing/bushing would save you a ton of hassle if it fails early.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #38
Jdh95jeep

ax5-15 swap (95yj)

Yeh mine has slotted holes. Whew. Yeh it went rite in. What problem would I run into and if I do change the bearing is it something that is easy to change and can I get it from autozone or Napa?

Yeh close to it! Dont see how you got away with $500... wow lucky!
Ax15 completely rebuilt $800
Bell house $120
Drive shaft mods $350
Clutch disk from auto zone $100
Had to buy complete kit to get the disk
Drove 2 hrs to get ax15 bracket
$50 not including gas
Fluid... $
I was told from corey transmision here in Charlotte to use 10w30
He rebuilt my ax5 and I ran 10w30 in it for a few months. Ran great!
Sold the rebuilt ax5 for $800 (what I paid to have it rebuilt.

Still need shifter... $ so total will be close to $1600
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
Jdh95jeep

she works!

Old pilot bearing works fine. Slave works fine!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.