2.5+AX15 swap complete! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5+AX15 swap complete!

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #16
sgrind1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i plan on getting started ordering the parts to do this swap,but just a quick question and maybe a few more on the way as far as the 96 dodge dakota bell housing is there a certain motor size i should be looking for and when i find one is there anything i should be sure to keep on it. and just so i get it i can us any yj or tj ax15 94 and up.

sgrind1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrind1 View Post
i plan on getting started ordering the parts to do this swap,but just a quick question and maybe a few more on the way as far as the 96 dodge dakota bell housing is there a certain motor size i should be looking for and when i find one is there anything i should be sure to keep on it. and just so i get it i can us any yj or tj ax15 94 and up.
Yes, you need to get a 96-98 Dodge Dakota 2.5L / 5speed bellhousing. I'm pretty sure the AX-15s 94+ are bolt in as well.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
sgrind1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrind1 View Post
In the next few months, I'll be pulling the 2.5 and installing the SMPI 5.2 Magnum.
I'll let you know, if you are interested.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to do this one day, but with the 4.0 still attached.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #21
sgrind1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
In the next few months, I'll be pulling the 2.5 and installing the SMPI 5.2 Magnum.
I'll let you know, if you are interested.
ok thanks
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
ROCKO
1998 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the same swap to my 98 jeep Wrangler 2.5, but now I have very little resistance on my clutch pedal and The Trany moves into gears witout pressing the clutch down.. I already tried Bleeding the Slave cylinder and took it out again to manually pump it.. And the trany still doesnt work. Any suggestions on what It might be? a New Slave Cylinder or master cylinder?
ROCKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKO View Post
I just did the same swap to my 98 jeep Wrangler 2.5, but now I have very little resistance on my clutch pedal and The Trany moves into gears witout pressing the clutch down.. I already tried Bleeding the Slave cylinder and took it out again to manually pump it.. And the trany still doesnt work. Any suggestions on what It might be? a New Slave Cylinder or master cylinder?
So it's stuck now? The clutch is not releasing fully right now? Does the release happen on the pressure plate after you take out the slave cylinder? If yes, then just replace with a complete pre-bled system if you can spend for that as long as you determined that the pressure plate is releasing properly after you removed the slave cylinder, then obviously it is in the hydraulics somewhere. If not, then it seems like a problem within the pressure plate area somewhere. Sometimes it's the opposite problem of what you are having, with this conversion, to where the slave pin is not long enough. Many people sleeve it adding one inch, or up to one and one quarter inches tops. But this seems to be not a problem in your case.
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #24
ROCKO
1998 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yea, I rounded it down to adjusting the clutch peddal or something within the bellhousing.. I wanted to ask because I see pictures on here about the fork spring being on the outside of fork ball and over the ballsocket behing the fork ball itself, How is this spring supposed to be installed correctly? I replaced the Hydr Cyl with new one, re Bleed it and it has potential Resistance but the trany still enters all gears without the pressing down on the clutch. So I am stuck right there. Turns on throwout bearing sounds loose and trany wont engage into any GEAR! Grrrr!! what did you say about the clutch itself? what would be wrong, I installed it just as it is suppose to be facing proper directions and lbs.... thanks again for helping!
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running a stock length clutch slave pin, works fine.

I would start by removing the slave cylinder, tying it up, and attempting to drive it. If you can start the jeep, and it won't go into gear without the clutch, then the problem is the hydraulics not releasing.

If it still acts the same, your problem is mechanical and inside the bellhousing.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
ROCKO
1998 YJ Wrangler 

well the New Hyd Cyl works good now after bleeding her, but the problem remains the same is that the shifter goes into gears with or without using the clutch pedal. All Gears engage in and out. Im going to remove the Hyd Cyl and use a long screw driver on the Bearing Fork to see if engages that way or if will stop the problem. I feel that MoonshineFuel hit the jackpot with the short stock Hyd Cyl pin. Thanks Guys! Ill let you know what the problem was if I find it.
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
ROCKO
1998 YJ Wrangler 

Droped the trany again.. bc I have no pressure whats so ever when moving the shift stick into all gears with or without pressing on clutch pedal. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I followed instructions to the T , but I'm thinking the Clutch itself isn't pushing out when I tighten it up against the flywheel. That's why the bearing has nothing to push down against. hmmm?
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #28
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can you post up pictures of what you're working with? The stock length slave rod works without issue, I've been driving my conversion for a year and a half with it. There is at least one other member that I know of for sure using it as well.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

any feedback since install? I am wanted to keep my 4 cyl TJ motor but beef up the tranny since my jeep is looking like it is going to be used off road more and for hauling a trailer (I have the AX-5)... i have a friend who is a transmission tech and would be assisting in the install...

Thanks!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of feedback are you looking for? I've just passed 2 years with the swap and it runs great.

White '94 YJ Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.