2.5 4 cyl problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 4 cyl problems

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 07-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
bownby76
1999 TJ Wrangler 

2.5 4 cyl problems

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and need help with a mechanical issue with a newly purchased 99 wrangler with a 2.5 4cyl. I was driving it home last night and noticed that every few minutes it would lose power for a second or two. It did not do this until about 30 minutes into my trip. I have found some threads with some similar issues but not exactly specific to mine. Can anyone please help. I know the transmission and rear end have been replaced, and also the radiator.

bownby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Were you running the ac? I know when my ac kicks in it's obvious. I'll lose 5mph almost. If you were using it the whole trip and it started towards the end check your fluid levels. If your fan clutch is going out and manifold pressure gets too high it will tax the 4 banger pretty well
TCazes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
ryan_h
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your spark plugs and wires. Mine had this issue recently and there was a slit in the rubber boot on one of my wires, causing the spark to fail sporadically with a temporary loss of HP.

If the plugs and wires check out, it could be a clogged catalytic converter, failing/clogged fuel injector, failing O2 sensor, or worst case, a blown/burnt valve.
ryan_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

99 is a tj. This is the yj forum. The first thing you want to do is run up to the parts store and have them tell you what fault codes you have. The diagnostics are really good on the tj. I am betting it's something like an o2 sensor.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
bownby76
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, and sorry for posting this question on the wrong forum. I found the problem. When I went to check the O2 sensor it was very loose, so I tightened it and it hasn't done it sense.
bownby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forums.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.