2.5 4 banger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 4 banger

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-02-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
jeeping mickey

2.5 4 banger

i have to ask this after this long debate on the converstion to a V-8 what can you modify on the 4cyc. to make them stronger running motors? i have a extra head for this thing and i am sure that if i looked hard enough i could find other parts that are the "normal" hot rodding things for motors . but out side of that what can you do with them? is there a place out there for the high preformance 4 bangers ? if so do you have a web site abby for them? would really like to hear how folks have done things to the 2.5's to make them runn better on the high ways and on the trails. can you help??

Unread 09-02-2002, 09:31 PM   #2
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

hey mick, we meet again,
I know i was in the forum talking to you about the v-8 conversion, but i have also done some mods to the 4 banger, i started with a K&N filter - i noticed quite an increase here, then i added a Pro-Flo exaust, uses flowmaster specs but it modded -- supposed to have a higher flow rate, i also noticed an increase with this, next i removed bith restrictors from my airbox, there is one in the entrance and exit, some people even cut the holes to make them bigger (I Didnt notice that much with this), you can also from what i hear add a throttle body from the 4.0 6cyl on there, this is supposed to make a big difference as well, but i have not done it, there is also a guy that has a supercharger or turbo or something on his here on the board, i am sure that anything a ricer can do we can do too if we wanted, also i have heard if you re-gear with the 4cyl it isnt too bad, but when i priced it, it was half of the cost of going v-8 and i still had a 181000 mile 4 cyl, so i stuck with the option we discussed before i hope this helps a little
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:44 PM   #3
jeeping mickey

hey jeep freak i have to say yes the throtel body dose help and i do have the K&N filter and the other things that you had other then the trbo /?? butr the rest are things that were done before i got the jeep but have some one i know that his jeep is completely bone stock and mine has alot more power then his dose with the same motor in it. oh and i dont have the gears in it that i know of they are stock as far as i know. but if you tear out the motor and do a complete rebuild on it you nolonger have a 4 banger with hihg miles you have a sesond block and a tight motor again LOL if you undestand where im comming from. i can do the rebuild in a weekend as long as i could get the block work done. i can build a V-8 chevy in aBOUT 8 hours as long as the machine shop is done with the block. but wanted to find out what others had done to help to
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ahh i know where you are coming from, but with regearing and the 4 popper rebuild i would also still have a 4 popper for the same amount of money, now V-8 i have detroit Iron and bragging rights rather then the mitsubishi stuff under the hood... i had a DEALER tell me that 2.5 is manufactured by mitsubishi, and even sent a friend to the mitsubishi dealer for a PART! and i wish i could do my rebuild in a weekend mine'll take a WEEK at least, too bad you dont live in michigan i mighta had to borrow you! you have a 4.0 throttle body huh... how much of a difference is their between yours and your buddies?? im just curious good luck though on what you decide and i wanst trying to turn this into another v-8 thread
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005

Last edited by Jeepfreak81; 09-02-2002 at 09:54 PM..
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
jeeping mickey

you didnt turn it in to a V-8 thread LOl as far as the diffrence well it is verry noticable from the seat of the pants that i have seen also i can take him in the long run. remeber i only have a 4 speed right now he has the 5 speed and i still can take him in the long run when he down shifts to 4th if i had not had it i would think real hard about how i could get one and get it on in a weekend LOl between that and the K& N i have to say they make a diffrence the next mod i will do is the coil as i dont like where they sitt on the motor i want it mounted high on the fire wall to keep it dry. and then i will put a bigger one in it. lol good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.