2.5 to 4.2 swap.. need info - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 to 4.2 swap.. need info

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What year is the engine wiring harness and the body wiring harness?

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #32
YJjeep258

Sorry about that its a 92 I was looking through the wiring harness and I found a wire that was a green and orange tracer wire that is not hook up I was think that might be it
YJjeep258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is a 91 tub and a 89 motor, hope I dont have too many issues.
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #34
YJjeep258

Well You shouldn't have any problems just figuring out the wiring mess after you take the computer out, thats if you do take the computer out and what I did was with tach I just lead a wire off the back of the tach to the HEI distributor so I hope that works. I haven't tried it yet I had to replace a heater core and fix the valve cover gasket so hope to run it today.
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So you removed the body harness and went with the one from the 4.2?
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
YJjeep258

No what I did was I got rid of the engine harness and most of the necessary sensors are on the body wiring and the temp sensor will have to be spliced to the body harness. There are two connectors which you unplug and then over by your alternator you cut those wires that connect the body wiring to the engine wiring which is a green and orange tracer wire. Then find the connector that goes to temp sensor which is a purple and yellow wire and you cut that connector and splice into the same color wire which is on that plug on top the engine. This is what I did and I will post some pictures tonight also.
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, so you kept your body wiring just spliced in the sensors on the 4.2. I was just wondering how the gauges matched up. What TC and trans are you running?
Does the speedo gear match up?
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
YJjeep258

Also you have to cut a two orange wires and a blue and black wire also to get the engine harness removed. We ended up using the sensors off the 2.5 and with the temp sensor I had to make an adapter using brass fittings and I tried using the temp sensor that came on the 4.2 it didn't work and the gauges work fine, excepted the fuel gauge which we missed a wire when hooking up the sending unit on the tank. The transmission were using is a Borg Warner T5 and the transfer case were using is a Dana 300 that has been flipped and we didn't use the clocking ring. Were also putting the twin shifters on the that to and the speedometer sensor work with the Dana 300.
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #39
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What gauges are you guys running? debating on getting rid of all the hoses and wires and just starting from scratch.. Aftermarket gauges seem like it would be easier than worrying about getting the tangled mess of wires all figured out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.