2.5 to a 4.0 conversion help!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 to a 4.0 conversion help!!!!!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-25-2003, 05:54 AM   #1
jeepzilla2003

2.5 to a 4.0 conversion help!!!!!!

i recently purchased what was supposed to be a COMPLETE rolling chassis from a guy who ownes a jeep parts/salvage business in rhode island. he told me he was gonna give me EVERYTHING i would need to convert my girls jeep to a 4.0 liter with an automatic tranny. well i was excited at first till i went to pick up the "COMPLETE" rolling chassis. to start off with it was not complete........there was no tranny installed nor a transfer case or drive shafts and countless other parts. well he promised me he would have the parts for me the next day and told me to take the chassis home and start wire brushing it and paint and undercoat it and he would get the parts the next day. he said i would be so happy and satisfied with the motor and every other aspect of the conversion if i took my time and cleaned the frame and paint and undercoated it . i was gonna anyways. but the next day came and he gave me the run around anfd i didnt get any parts. this has gone on for a week and i still have no parts with the exception of a couple of parts he has given me just to shut me up . well in the mean time i did do the body swap and when i went to plug the wiring harness that came with the chassis into my body wiring harness (fusebox connection) which he swore up and down that i would have no problem with . i go to turn the headlights on with the key off , the fuel pump kicks on..... and no lights come on so i call the guy and tell him that and he says that they all do that and the lights WILL come on . well they dont and he has the balls to say that i just dont know what the hell im doing and i suck as a mechanic. i am new to working on jeeps but i have been a mechanic all my life and im 36 yrs old and it cant be that much difference in working on them. well the point im getting at is how do i go about getting all my wires back to where i need them to be and get my jeep on the road without going down and killing this guy? i paid $1.200 for this chassis and all i got was junk. he said he would stand behind everything he sold but i guess he meant he stood behind it when he was pushing it onto my car trailer so i could haul away his junk. and i thought jeep people stuck together not stuck it to each other. anybody in rhode island interested in knowing where this jeep place is ??????? please someone help me out here . thanks in advance .

jeepzilla2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

First off - welcome to the world of Jeep!!! Its a great world where most of the people are quite helpfull.

I would recomend a couple of books to start off with - the Chilton manual and the Haynes manual. I found them very helpfull when I did my V8 conversion. Wiring a vehicle has never been my strong point, but with the wiring diagrams found in the two books, I was able to make an educated stab at getting my Jeep running again. I still don't have my backup lights working or my 4wd dash light working (can't seem to make them work with the Chevy stuff properly) .. but they are minor.

The wiring changed slightly between the early carb'd years and the later FuelInjected years. You will be needing to choose a year and re-wire it to match that year. Painless Wiring out of Texas can send you entire harnesses to make the job even simpler.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Jeepzilla

You have been robbed. Take it all back, get your money back and buy one that runs.

93 YJ project. 4.0L, stick
MJ-7 re-body, Banks header, 2.5 " pipe, low resistence cat, Flowmaster. K&N filter thru a snorkel.
Jeepzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #4
jeepzilla2003

bump
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you just take the guy's word that he'd get you the parts?

Hopefully you got something in writing... and why would you pay all that upfront for nothing?
sstaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
Jeepzilla

To me, your questions are much too broad for anyone to answer on the forum. Someone would have to be there with you to see exactly what you have and what you don't have. I, at least, am a hobbyist not a pro.

Suggest you run a Google search for a factory service manual, or maybe someone knows of a website. Being an experienced mechanic, you can make good use of a complete set of wiring diagrams.

You're stuck on the missing parts unless you have detailed bill of sale. You need legal help on that score. The service manual will have the parts list so that you can match them up with what he gives you. Otherwise you won't know if he is still ripping you off. As you know, there are a zillion little things as well as a few big things.

93 YJ project. 4.0L, stick
MJ-7 re-body, Banks header, 2.5 " pipe, low resistence cat, Flowmaster. K&N filter thru a snorkel.
Jeepzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 05:27 AM   #7
jeepzilla2003

well good news on my project. i finally got the guy to sit and talk to me and as of sunday i will have the jeep towed to his place and he will personally finish putting all the parts on and get it running for me and he will guarantee me( in writing ) that it will run and i will be happy with the job. and he is not gonna charge me anything and gonna pay me $500.00 for my old chassis. i have a mutual friend of both him and mine pay him a little phone call so by monday or tuesday jeepenstein will be up and running. thanks to everyone for their help and input. hope someday i can return the favor........
Unread 11-14-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
jeepzilla2003

so much for good news here we are 2 weeks later with my jeep sittin at this guys garage and he still has not even put a wrench to it yet . still giving me the jerk around. hes working on everything under the sun except my jeep.
Unread 11-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
jeepzilla2003

just in case anybody in rhode island is interested in where im talking about the place is jeep parts unlimited on 10 ambrose st and just for the record the state is putting them out of business . so imagine all the people they have screwed not getting their money back including me. i know im probrobly gonna get kicked from the forum for this so moderators im sorry in advance. but what is right is right.
Unread 11-14-2003, 10:06 PM   #10
DanG

i hate to hear that, i personaly have used him for parts for several years now and know others that have used him for years. hopefully it is an isolated incedent. he does get extreemly busy at times. i hope evey thing works out for you. and the city has been trying for years to shut him down for having parts laying around, i do not want to see him go he has been very resourcefull.
[SIZE=4] [COLOR=red]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=white]Off[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Roading[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
H2RT MEMBER
[color=red] RED JEEP MEMBER #49[/color]
POS JEEP MEMBER #3
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2003, 12:25 AM   #11
PaxtonTransAm

BBB, try them to moderate. Then, site him into small claims court. Neither will get you anywhere, but you'll be able to write some of the loss off on your taxes. Our legal systems favors drug adicts and criminals. I learned never to pay for anything until I had it or the job was done.
Unread 11-16-2003, 05:20 AM   #12
jeepzilla2003

well i had gone down prior to buying the chassis and was recomended by a friend who owns a car lot and he spoke very highly of ray and his business. and when i spoke to ray he seemed like a real cool guy, little did i know he was just promising me the world and blowing sunshine up my *** to get my money and screw me .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.