1st timer here in need of guidance. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1st timer here in need of guidance.

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My advice:

Get rid of it. Start off with a STOCK YJ. It's going to be a hell of a lot of work to un-do all of the rednecking that has been done to that poor Jeep. Let someone else who knows the ins and outs of Jeeps take care of it.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i was into the audi about 4 grand. i got way over excited looking at this lifted truck and the blinders went on lol. i am willing to put money and time into this truck, we all know its going to take it quick!
spellingbchamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Joe. Go back to spring under axle, take off the body lift and get your rig back down to were you can enjoy it as a DD and trail rig. Then as you get use to it and use to taking it off road then you can start doing more of the advanced upgrades to your jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with those who suggest you convert to spring under axle. With a 4 cylinder, 31" tires will provide better overall performance. You can run 31" tires with a stock suspension and either a 1" or 2" body lift. That will give you a decent stance for the type of use you've described.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #20
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I kind of agree too. Although I would convert to good 4" spring lift while doing the work. Dump the body lift or no more than 1 or 2 inches.

It looks to me that you have a pretty solid Yj. Body and frame wise so as far as being out dollars. I think you did Okay. Yes you got taken but who hasn't. You should of seen the Yj I almost bought about a year ago. What a POS is was when I got home. The seller rigged the rear end to blow on me by placing metal in there so I would not know that he had blown it before.

I got lucky in that I could stop the check before he cashed it. I bought it an a Saturday and had him pick it up Sunday. Long story but like you I saw something different. Oh and one more thing. I found sand in the rear end plus the metal and the PO tried to tell me that sand was normal for a mudding vehicle. LOL
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ideally you should have started with a stock one, but right now you've got what you've got, and it might be pretty hard getting your money out of it.

Like others have said, however, it should be fixable, first get your tire swap deal. Get the springs back under the axle (hopefully they did not destroy the original pads).

The 4 cyl has an electric fuel pump (unlike the mechanical pump on the i6) so the likelihood that a lot of gas has gotten into the oil is pretty low, but change all your fluids

You're gonna have to put some good money after bad, but it seems to have a good body and on a Jeep that means a lot.

BTW I understand your decision, I came out of an Acura into my YJ 6 years ago. It's now my daily driver, off road toy and road trip vehicle.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

SOO Champ where you at curious how things are going ?

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I feel bad for this guy. He got screwed over, then got flamed for it. But now i'm wondering how it's getting along.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.