1st timer here in need of guidance. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1st timer here in need of guidance.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 04-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1st timer here in need of guidance.

so a few weeks back i went and traded a really nice audi a4 for what i thought was a bad *** jeep. 1990 yj with 2.5l TBI. well i should have done my homework first. the jeep needs a ton of work but it looked so cool i looked right past all of it. the jeep looks to have a 3 inch body lift on a spring over lift with a trans drop on 39.5 inch swappers. this thing was big![IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
the person i picked this up from was not the brightest and had a lame excuse for running such big tires on stock running gear with only a 2.5l. so with smaller tires in mind i picked it up and drove it home. after about 20 min or so of driven my eyes started to burn from running so rich. got the jeep home and decided that the first thing i needed to do was get it running right. i ended up rebuilding the throttle body and replaced the injector. while i was under the hood i noticed that every single vacuum line had ben chopped and plugged. all tune parts looked to be new including the o2. she started right up and ran 100% better but still rich. i decided that i needed to replace all vacuum lines but before i had a chance to do so i got a offer on a set of 33's in trade for my 40's. i jumped on it. drove the jeep home that night, about a 30 min drive and parked it... now she will not start. also the oil looks to have a qt of gas in it. any ideas would be grate.

spellingbchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Spelling bee champ? You couldn't even try to spell things correctly? There is a dictionary built in to your Internet.
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Spelling bee champ? You couldn't even try to spell things correctly? There is a dictionary built in to your Internet.
that is the point, but i really could use some feedback
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Drain the fluids and refill them with fresh versions of what should be in there. Then fix that death trap disguised as a steering setup.
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Drain the fluids and refill them with fresh versions of what should be in there. Then fix that death trap disguised as a steering setup.

Normally Anticanman is pretty easy going about bad spelling. As far as spell correct. If you use Internet Explorer the spell check may not work. Doesn't on my computer with the Jeep Forum. Now all that I use is Google Chrome and spell correct works fine in this forum.

That said, he is very right. Replace all fluids before you drive any more miles. From there you can monitor what you have and how good or bad things are. Fresh fluids will give you a start point to monitor the looks of everything. Motor, tranny (Use 10-30 motor oil in the tranny), transfer case, and front and rear end. Might help the tranny grinding too.

I also agree with Anticanman about the steering. I hate to tell you but I think you should park your rig until you make it safe.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sorry about the spelling, i really do suck at it. it has been a challange all my life. as far as the stearing setup how should it be? i am in over my head on this one.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellingbchamp View Post
sorry about the spelling, i really do suck at it. it has been a challange all my life. as far as the stearing setup how should it be? i am in over my head on this one.
MY NAME is JOE and I'm a BAD speller .
I have ben a BAD speller for quite some time .
It started with my public school lack of education .
I new I hit rock bottom when I had to have my 13 year old daughter proof read all my forum post
That said thank God for Google Chrome

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellingbchamp View Post
It's not that you're a bad speller, its the bitter irony in the situation. That being said, lets move on to getting you diagnosed and back on track with the project jeep you bought. Can we get a picture of the rear output of the transfer case so you can have a little better idea of what its going to take to remedy this clusterjunk?
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would also add we really need to know what you want out of your jeep. You stated in your OP that you traded an Audi for the jeep so I assume that this jeep will be your daily driver as well as a trail rig. Would that be correct?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
and a photo off all the cut vacuum lines including the lines for the front diff.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
spellingbchamp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
I would also add we really need to know what you want out of your jeep. You stated in your OP that you traded an Audi for the jeep so I assume that this jeep will be your daily driver as well as a trail rig. Would that be correct?
yes this would be my end goal. as of right now i work for a apartment complex doing maintenance and i live on site. i am looking for something i can drive to the trail and make it home! lol as it sits i would not trust this thing driving to the store for a gal of milk!

also i am mechanical inclined and i know how to turn a wrench, just never ventured outside of vw's.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The steering will have to be addressed to drive it on the road and the slip yoke on the transfer case will have to be adios'd to drive it on the trail. Scratch that. Off the trail.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your on the right track sizing down on the tires . Its a step backwards but you may want to consider going back to sprung under . That would be a quick fix for your steering & drive shaft geometry . In my limited experience I've never seen at case tilted that much . There must be a motor mount lift along with the T case drop .
Looks like the PO was trying to make a quick sale .
Stick with it though you will find you didn't just get a new cool ride but a cool new life style too .

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Was the Audi A4 a salvaged title? Trying to comprehend the disparity in values.

Did it ever occur to you to take it to a reputable 4WD shop prior to signing over your A4? By your own admission, "you are (were) in over your head" when you were looking at the Jeep prior to the trade.

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude or whatever, but I'm having my mind blown by this trade.

What you have is a HUGE opportunity to get a first class education on the Jeep YJ. Tuition will be paid weekly. Just assume 80-90% of any disposable income.

That, or I'll come trailer it away for ~$200.00 cash.

Let me know.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Was the Audi A4 a salvaged title? Trying to comprehend the disparity in values.

Did it ever occur to you to take it to a reputable 4WD shop prior to signing over your A4? By your own admission, "you are (were) in over your head" when you were looking at the Jeep prior to the trade.

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude or whatever, but I'm having my mind blown by this trade.

What you have is a HUGE opportunity to get a first class education on the Jeep YJ. Tuition will be paid weekly. Just assume 80-90% of any disposable income.

That, or I'll come trailer it away for ~$200.00 cash.

Let me know.
I think a paid membership is in order. Its gonna be a long class.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.