1st Time Jeep and YJ owner intentions and wheel and tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1st Time Jeep and YJ owner intentions and wheel and tire question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1st Time Jeep and YJ owner intentions and wheel and tire question

So long story short i had to give up a Harley Davidson 883 iron, but in return got a 1990 Wrangler. Wife has given me the budget of 8000 to spend, Im trying to keep coast low and invest whats left. So far my plan is to do a 4" rough country lift, 15x10 American Racing AR-767 wheels, I have a question about tires, a brush guard and a winch. I currently serving in Afghanistan and saw this stock 1990 2.5L wrangler with no reserve. I ended up winning the auction with a 3000 bid. The jeep looks to be in excellent condition, looks like its never seen a trail, and had never been moded in anyway. The engine and engine compartment are in desperate need of some dressing up and TLC. Now the question. I intended to use this Jeep as a daily driver, back and forth to work with is a 45mph 20 minute drive either way. Now Ive been told and read to go with 15X10 rims, but as for tires im completely lost, i want something that i can rely on in the mud but need it to hold up on a daily trek back and forth to work. I was thinking of doing a set of 32X11.5 Pro Comp Radial Mud Terrain. So here is my second question i guess, ive read that i can fit a 12.50 on a 8 inch rim when it come to width, but ive also read that a 15x10 is a good rim size that can mount most any tire, so would that be a good set up or should i go with a smaller rim. Also since im planning on keeping the stock engine, i was wondering if anyone had an info or could direct me to site that might have a dress up/tune up kit for the 1990 2.5L engine. Thank you very much, hope to have some picture up shortly as soon as the jeep is delivered to my home in NC from CT

CreepO316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the JF community and the world of Jeepin! So tire size.... First it depends on the kind of terrain you will be running through,how often you plan on wheeling it and appearances. I can tell ya that a 33x12.5 does suck a few ponies from the 2.5 liter on road but having the wider tire is helpful in the woods. It really depends on what you want to do 'better."

Gas mileage is better with a narrow tire.
Snow and ice on roads are better with a narrow tire.
Deep snow is better with a wide tire.
Shallow mud is better with a narrow tire.
Deep mud is better with a wide tire.
Sand is better with a wide tire.

Now off to lifts. The Rough Country seems to be decent for a lower priced kit although IMO I would consider other options. BDS and Rubicon Express are basically the two "preferred" kits for a more serious offroader due to the military wrapped springs. Military wrap is the curl over of the second leaf around the main leaf eye. It is designed such that if the mainleaf breaks, the secondary leaf will keep the spring pack attached to the vehicle to help minimize damage and to allow you to limp home. Compare the leaf springs on Rough Country here.... Jeep YJ Suspension Lift To the BDS kit here.... Untitled Document and the RE kit here.... RE5515 - YJ 4" STANDARD KIT - Rubicon Express. Im by no means downing Rough Country because they seem to have a great warranty but I personally dont wanna chance changing springs because they sag or bend. Heres a very long thread on RC's product.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...proved-529407/. Onto winches.... There are good prices and free shipping on them at www.winchdepot.com and I (and others) will suggest either a Warn or Superwinch. The Warn M8000 is the more popular choice amongst weekend warriors and even more hardcore guys due to it being pretty inexpensive for the quality and durability. There are other things depending on terrain you may consider upgrading for durability. Sorry for the long post but hope I helped alittle. lol. BTW an $8000 budget can get ya some decent stuff and turn that Jeep into a nice offroader. Good luck. Also seems ya got yourself a very cool Wife. Hopefully she will enjoy the new ride as much as you do.
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps Name

Thank you so much for the helpful info, It seems everyone has a project name or name for their jeep. Since i gave up the chance to have a 883 Iron i was thinking Id maybe do my version of what a jeep would look like if Harley did a specail addition 1990 Wrangler Iron, or just calling it the ScapeGoat since it will be my vice as soon as i get home to play with it. Anyone any ideas
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

With a few grand laying around you should be able to do all of the following and stilll have money left over, if you can do your own labor, and or have friends....

BDS 3.5" Springs (not the whole kit)
Spring bushings
What ever shocks you want (Measure after the 8.8 and suspension is done)
SYE/CV drive shaft
Ford 8.8
15x8 Crager Soft 8 wheels (or knock offs) 15x8 is fine for 12.50 wide tire
33x12.50x15 tires (or add a 1.5" body lift and run 35's)

It would be reliable, strong, capable, and look good.

Here are a couple of pics of my old YJ before I got rear ended.....

This was it with a BDS 3.5" and 33x12.50x15 15x8.

This is with the same, set up on 35's and the 8.8

My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with a 2.5" lift and 31X10.50 tires. You only need 8" rims for 10.50's. With the 2.5 4 cylinder, you don't want to over tire it, you'll be happier on the street and trail. A good off road tire thats is agressive on the trail and gets decent wear on the street is the truxus mt. If you want an all terain tire, the BFG KO's are next to none and have many off road championships to prove it.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever rims you get make sure you get the right backspace 4 inch.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
JoeR203
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How's the frame looking? If that Jeep is coming from Connecticut, it probably dealt with a lot of sand/salt/dirt and water on the roads during the winter months.
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR203 View Post
How's the frame looking? If that Jeep is coming from Connecticut, it probably dealt with a lot of sand/salt/dirt and water on the roads during the winter months.
I'm assuming form the shape the body is in that maybe its previous owners kept it in the garage during the winter months, Wont know for sure til its delivered. So i have another question, I keep hearing about doing an axle swap, i understand the concept, all the trucks we work on have the axle mounted underneath the leaf springs not over, but since the jeep was obviously designed for the axle to be over the leaf spring does dropping them below affect anything. and is it really worth it
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepO316 View Post
I'm assuming form the shape the body is in that maybe its previous owners kept it in the garage during the winter months, Wont know for sure til its delivered. So i have another question, I keep hearing about doing an axle swap, i understand the concept, all the trucks we work on have the axle mounted underneath the leaf springs not over, but since the jeep was obviously designed for the axle to be over the leaf spring does dropping them below affect anything. and is it really worth it

Are you asking bout doing a Spring Over Axle (SOA) lift, an axle swap for a stronger axle, or both?

If your going to be running a 33's or larger tires, then yes a stronger axle will be worth it. There are many people that have broken the factory D35 rear axle with 35's in a parking lot.

If your discussing doing an SOA, well.... Is it worth it? That depends on your abilities and your pockets. SOA sounds easy. And in theory it is, just move the springs over the axles, weld it together and be done. Well, there is a lot more to consider. SOA and Cheap or Easy do not belong in the same sentence. There is a ton of info on the specifics of SOA on the forums. Look here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-guide-471769/

I am starting an SOA right now. I'm doing the fab and the welding my my self, and all other labor, and I am still a bit over $800 into it and still dont have everything I need to finish it. Is it worth it to you? maybe. Its worth it to me cause I want/need the flex and need the height for taller tires. Since I don't do easy "trail riding" through the woods, I want it to perform. So yes its worth it to me.

If your not going to be wheeling much, or not too hard, then it might not be worth it to you.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As far as axle swaps that again depends on the condition of the internals on the current Dana 35 rear and your future intentions with the Jeep. IF hardcore wheeling is in your future then a rear axle swap will probably be a very good idea. If your going to use it as a daily driver and hit a trail now and then you should be safe with the rear axle in there. Seems you are going for the latter.The rear axle (dana 35) can be pretty durable IF and only IF you understand your limitations with it. They do make kits to replace the weaker components in the rear axle with stronger stuff. There seems to be mixed reviews on doing that but it doesnt seem you are giong the hardcore wheeler route. BTW a Harley themed Jeep would look awesome. Maybe black with chrome accents and some Custom Harley styled leather seats or something along that line. I found this Jeep online, maybe something like this only lifted....

Or the black and orange HD Ford pickup colors on your wrangler.....

With these Centerline wheels....

which resemble these Harley wheels...

Last edited by erockz; 03-27-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So there i was thinking about my Harley Davidson special[IMG][/IMG] addition 1990 wrangler yj trying to find that Burnt Harley orange paint code, when i saw something beautiful and opened the flood gates, imagine you will the exterior all black out, and when you open the door instead of carpet you see line-x Harley orange bed liner. Google Image Result for http://centralohiolinexandaccessories.com/images/HARLEY%20F150%20(94).jpg
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think this build you have in mind could be really nice. I hope to see some build pics soon. Get Wifey involved and the Kids if ya got em. Make it a family project.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

are there any sites that deal primarily with the pre 91 yjs in regards to engine upgrades and mods
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
CreepO316
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So the jeep finally made to NC and i have pictures to share but have no idea how upload them any help would be greatly welcomed
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

open a photobucket account and upload the pics to that site. then cpoy and paste the [img] code into a post and the pic will appear
herculinded interior
custom bumper
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/update-my-xj-362812/
nudosimmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.