1995 YJ Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Transmission

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
patriceok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 YJ Transmission

Today I was driving home and the transmission locked up about 2 blocks from home. Can't get it out of gear. I was able to "double clutch" and get it home but can't get it to move out of gear. I'll have to have it towed to a shop at this point. My question is how do I tell what kind of transmission I have? It's a 2.5 motor, 5 speed. I'd like to be able to look up pricing on transmissions before I take it in to a shop. That way I can also call around and do a little price shopping. The local jeep dealer told me about $5500 to replace it - but they also mentioned two different transmissions ($700 difference). Of course maybe this one can be rebuilt (I only have 81,000 miles on it), but I'd like to find out how much a new one can be done for before I make a decision. I'm strapped for cash and going to lose my job in a few months, so I can't go "deluxe" - any suggestion on how to tell what I need? also any suggestions on a "brand" or place to order one if I need a whole new transmission?

patriceok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok hold up a second... Tell us again what its doing? The Jeep wont move at all or it wont go into gear. The AX5 (which you should have) is a bit on the wimpy side however most of the time they just wear out or the input gear goes bad. Basically if it wont go into gear your probably looking at a slave/master issue and not the actual transmission.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

$5500!?! They must be high... I bought my jeep for $3500!

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just like mark05059 said......Have you checked the fluid in the resevoir? Did it run dry? Could be something as simple as replacing the slave cylinder. Sounds like there is an issue in your clutch and not the tranny. Check that out first. Being you have a 95 your slave is external and SUPER easy to replace. I'd go that route first and see what happens. Order the slave/master cylinder assembly from rockauto.come that is already pre-bled. Undo 4 bolts and a clip from the clutch pedal and pull the old one out and install the new one. Just did that on my 94 a few months ago and she's running perfect. Also, find a different mechanic than someone that is going to charge you over 5K for a tranny sway, good lord , that makes me wanna scream when I hear crap like that.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

More accurate symptom descriptions are needed. But I can tell you that the estimates you were given are way out of line.

I do complete AX5 rebuilds in my shop for $1250 parts & labor, then add $200 if you want/need a new clutch. Another $200 parts & labor for all new hydraulics would bring the total to $1650 unless "hard parts" like gears, hubs, shafts are damaged inside the transmission. The cost of these items would be limited to the parts' prices & no additional labor.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

NOS AX 5 Collins Bros, under $1750, no core charge. That is a brand new trans. Labor wouldn't add that much to replace it and add in a new clutch job. $5500? Run away, run away.........you don't want to go to the Jeep dealership for this. You can also find junk yard AX 5's and bolt them in for way less than that. When they're telling you $5500, they're telling you "GO AWAY." They don't want your bidness. Start shopping around.
For $5500, you could tow your Jeep to Mean Max in Florida, get the work done, and still come out way way ahead. (and get to meet a Jeep living legend too.....)

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
patriceok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Basically it won't go in/out of gear. I was literally 2 blocks from home, went to downshift and it wouldn't come out of gear - it just stuck. I could move the jeep - basically since I was still "moving" I just double clutched it in the current gear and got it home to my driveway. This girl is very much dependent on a mechanic - I don't do anything to it on my own. I had no idea it could be something else - just assumed it was the transmission since it's so old. Should I still take it to a transmission type mechanic/shop or go with a local independent "general/all around" mechanic? I am so hoping it's nothing major, as I'm about to be laid off in the next 90 days.....(that's a whole other story LOL). I appreciate all the advice I can get.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
patriceok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So where is the reservoir located? Is there a source where I can see a picture of where I need to look? When I had the oil changed they didn't mention I was low on any fluids or anything.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriceok View Post
So where is the reservoir located? Is there a source where I can see a picture of where I need to look? When I had the oil changed they didn't mention I was low on any fluids or anything.
Here it is.

I would not be the least bit surprised there was no mention of other fluids, very doubtful someone would check this on an oil change unless you were to specifically ask for them to look. If your pedal still feels normal, it's not likely to be clutch hydraulics, but if it is limp and mushy, it's a possibility. Have you checked the lube in your transmission? Is it low, empty, has shrapnel in it etc?

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriceok
Basically it won't go in/out of gear. I was literally 2 blocks from home, went to downshift and it wouldn't come out of gear - it just stuck. I could move the jeep - basically since I was still "moving" I just double clutched it in the current gear and got it home to my driveway.......
This sounds like a "spun" syncro. This would require a full teardown & rebuild. I say this with some reservation because I'm not actually seeing/feeling it myself, and I can only post what I surmise based on what I read & interpret from the info here.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
wranglin5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

same thing happened to me to my 95 wrangler. clutch had no resistance, wouldnt go into gear. guy put in a new slave, master cylinder and a new clutch. works fine now.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglin5
same thing happened to me to my 95 wrangler. clutch had no resistance, wouldnt go into gear. guy put in a new slave, master cylinder and a new clutch. works fine now.
Really? Same thing happened? Couldn't get it OUT of gear? Replaced the hydraulics & everything was good? Amazing.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
wranglin5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i guess.it depends on what gear your in or going in or something. when i went to drive and it was messed up it barely went into reverse then it barely went into 1st. so if your going forward i guess you wouldnt be able to get it out of gear.depends what way your about to drive it seems like from the multiple different stories. yeah get out of gear. i couldnt get it out of gear(1st) to go into R. then i couldnt get it out of R to go into 1st to pull off. this is when it barely worked. then it stopped working, later it got towed, then it got fixed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.