1995 YJ Stereo install problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Stereo install problems

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
ezdan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 YJ Stereo install problems

While removing the old CD from my 95 YJ the wires were a mess. Two or three splices on all the wires. So I got out the old circuit tester and an ohm meter and started to clean them up. Tracking down which wires went where was time consuming but manageble. Here is the problem, there are two power wires one is switched and the other is constant. The switched power wire workes normaly but the always-on wire was hot but for no reason at all (no sparks or accidental grounding) it lost power. And to make matters worse it took out the dome and courtesy lights too. I checked all the fuses and have been trying to figure it out. I'm at my witts end. I am hoping that someone on this forum can help me. Thanks!

ezdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To be honest man you'd be light years ahead of yourself if you just run a new always on lead right from the battery with an in-line fuse.

Did you check your fuses?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like you blew a fuse...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
ezdan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup! I checked all the fuses and I could run a wire from the batt for the new stereo but I would like my interior lights. Everything else works great. When I try to turn on the dome light at the dimmer panel the dash lights go out. When I turn them back off the dash lights return. I have power to all the fuses.
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdan View Post
Yup! I checked all the fuses and I could run a wire from the batt for the new stereo but I would like my interior lights. Everything else works great. When I try to turn on the dome light at the dimmer panel the dash lights go out. When I turn them back off the dash lights return. I have power to all the fuses.
What is a dome light?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
ezdan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The dome light is the light on the sound bar that lights up when you open the door.
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so it's not just your stereo that's being affected. Sounds like you created a short while cleaning up the wires and blew a fuse.

Which fuse block did you check?
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
ezdan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I checked the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side. I removed each one and also checked them installed, with a tester. Is there another fuse block that I may have overlooked? I,m new to Jeeps, but not to wrenching but this has got me stumped. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There is a larger distribution block under the hood right in front of the battery that holds big fuses and relays. However if a big fuse for the interior blew I imagine it would affect more than just the dome light and stereo.
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All the interior power goes to the interior fuse box as far as I know. I know there is a radio one as well as an interior lighting etc one. I personally chose not to deal with all of that, simply because my wiring is so FUBAR from the previous owner its not worth my time. I know how frustrating it is, best of luck finding it.
If you simply cant find a fix I recommend going with a new box. The manufacturer of this is Blue Sea Systems, but you can get something similar. Im an associate at West Marine so I dont quite remember retail cost, but its made life 100x easier.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/17-year-old-dream-1146581/"]Build Thread- 17 Year Old Dream[/URL]
marzcap328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My '95 has some jacked up wiring as well, and I'm simply going to run new wires from the battery. I'll have to rewire the cigarette lighter, run new wiring for the soon to be added CD player, and may add an interior light. The cigarette/12v outlet will be hardwired, whereas the other two will be controlled by a switch (unless I can easily find the turn on lead from the wiring harness). The previous owner made a mess of the wiring, and I can't figure out what he was trying to accomplish. I guess I should be happy the dash instruments light up!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
OhioYJRunner
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The fuse marked dome under your dash is the one that controls the radio's power. I had issues with this when I got mine as my PO hacked mine all up, too. I had a lead running right from my battery and connected both the constant and acc to it and used the ground already run, but became annoyed with having to manually turn off the radio every time. Esp cuz the display stayed on and lit my jeep like a blacklight was on when I went anywhere until I realized you had to hard press the power button a few secs to turn that off.

Anyways, that fuse marked dome kept blowing on me so I researched the fuse box and the PO must have just thrown whatever fuse he grabbed in each. I changed like 4 according to an online schematic, but was confused by my schematic saying the dome should be a 10 amp when the panel says right on it 20. Someone said the panel was prolly just an old one and mismarked so I took my chances cuz the fuse was smaller, not bigger, and should blow if anything. Not a problem since. I did also pull the fuse from the IOD slot in my PDC under the hood and put it in the horn fuse slot, but idk if that helped w it and was just trying to fix my horn at the same time.

Getting long now, but one more option that would at least make it work like it should that I did for a month or two was using an Bussman add a circuit available from auto part stores that plugs into the fuse box and splits a lead from it on its own fuse. (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CGRP2020A_____) Just make sure to connect off of something that powers up with ignition or you might as well have just run from the battery (I used the ac fuse cuz mine doesn't have it anyways) and run that to acc wire, the constant from batt, and the ground already ran there and should be good. Ok, hopefully that will help somebody here being a month old thread or someone searching in the future if not.
OhioYJRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #13
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The fuses in question are:
Fuse 3 under the hood 50 Amps
Fuse 8 under dash 20 Amps
Fuse 10 under dash 5 Amps
Fuse 12 under dash 12 Amps
In addition to the fuse being bad the actual fuse sockets have a tendency to corrode. The fuse checks good and may even have voltage on each tab, but no voltage to the circuit. Remove the fuse, clean the socket with a 1/8
in flat blade screwdriver. I would just replace the fuses, as they get corroded. Buy a couple of those kits, that have the assortments and replace them all.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
jmmorgan82

Mine had the same issue. Look at your under hood fuse box and if I remember right, it is the back left fuse when you are looking at the box from the passenger side. It took me hours to figure that out.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Two ideas if you havnt fixed it yet

Do you have the dimmer wire hooked up that comes off the radio? Don't use that wire. I did once and my headlights would not turn off

or cut the wire that hooks your dome light to your dimmer switch
Then re wire it to one of the lights under that dash. That's how mine is. I never had a sound bar so I got a tj soundbar and ran speaker and light wires.
ROTTEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.