1995 YJ Stalling Problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Stalling Problems

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjninefive View Post
gracias amigo, no CEL, guess thats busted
MAKE SURE that the previous owner didn't pull the CEL bulb!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You really need the CEL or a diagnostic tool. While the diagnostics are admitadely not the greatest. They do help when they indicate a problem. Also, if the CEL light doesnt function, it could indicate an issue with the ecu
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright. Jeep is back to not working. Now i cant even get it out of the driveway. It'll just keep turning over but not catch. When it does catch it can make it about 2-15 seconds before it dies.

Think it might be the carb?

My speedo died about 20 months ago. No lights no movement. Along with this I lost my right turn signal on the dash, shift indicator and CEL light.
yjninefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright. Jeep is back to not working. Now i cant even get it out of the driveway. It'll just keep turning over but not catch. When it does catch it can make it about 2-15 seconds before it dies.

Think it might be the carb?

My speedo died about 20 months ago. No lights no movement. Along with this I lost my right turn signal on the dash, shift indicator and CEL light.
It does not have a carb. It has Multi Port Fuel Injection and a throttle body on the intake for air. It also holds the IAC and the and TPS sensor.

Get a buddy to help you with this. Pull a plug wire anyone will do for this test.
slide the metal end out of the hood it is in. With a pair of insulated pliers put that clip next to a good ground source.

Have your buddy turn your engine over. Do you have a strong blue-white spark and a crack! sound? Now, do you do hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to the ON position. If neither of these things happen my guess is the crank sensor crapped the bed.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Spray starter fluid into the throttle body and see if it consistently starts and dies. If it does then you have a fuel problem and you need to rent a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure. Check the spark like mentioned above.
Unread 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Changed the crank sensor... no luck
The spark plugs arent getting any spark.

Autozone said there was no camshaft sensor in the car?\

Last edited by yjninefive; 03-13-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #22
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also tested the secondary resistance on the coil pack and its within specified limits. Can anyone elaborate on the distributor sensor? If the plugs arent getting sparks I can assume it has something to do with the distributor so I would like to try that sensor next.

If not I feel I'll have to dig into the pcm/ecu
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also tested the secondary resistance on the coil pack and its within specified limits. Can anyone elaborate on the distributor sensor? If the plugs arent getting sparks I can assume it has something to do with the distributor so I would like to try that sensor next.

If your CEL lights up when you turn your ignition to the ON position then your PCM/ECU/freaking car brain or whever it is called for your year Jeep! Pick a name for it!

Unread 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is what layback man and I have been talking about. Read this thread I am linking to.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
This is what layback man and I have been talking about. Read this thread I am linking to.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Agreed.... IF the CEL light does no light up and the bulb is there. If the CEL does not light up when you turn the ignition switch to the ON position then simply leave it there until the CEL does come on. Once it does you can be assured that your Jeep 'brain' has bad capacitors and needs to be 'operated' on.

Unread 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
YJWralph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What engine do you have? The 2.5l 4 banger has the camshaft position sensor right in the distributor and it's called a stator, not a camshaft sensor... Took me a while to figure that one out.

Quote:

Did you check your coil-to-distributor wire?

Sometimes P.O.'s remove the CEL bulb when they sell so as not to alert any potential buyers to any problems...

Last edited by YJWralph; 03-14-2011 at 05:37 PM..
YJWralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Woops.
Did the capacitator swap but unscrewed the wiring harness and reattached it before I even took it out to put in the new capacitators. I put the ecu back in with the new caps and its doing the same thing, Just cranking but not catching.
Does this mean the board is fried? It seems to be working the same, which means my car still wont start.

Is it fried? f' me

Last edited by yjninefive; 03-16-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does the cel come on when you turn the ignition to on?
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #29
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

this sounds very familiar, I just went through all of this with mine very recently. It started off just dying instantly and then it would just turn over and not start. Then the problem became more of a sputter once it got over 2700rpm but wouldn't competely shut off. I changed out every sensor I could think of along with the fuel pump, coil and new plugs and wires. Fixed the problem with a used ECM from another 92. Runs better than ever with all the new parts, but would have been cheaper to go straight to the ECM
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #30
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I still think its the ecu if there is no CEL.

Tags
stalling , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.