1995 YJ Stalling Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Stalling Problems

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 YJ Stalling Problems

Hey guys, been reading posts on this forum for a while and finally have a good reason for my first post.

I have a 1995 YJ that has been giving me problems as of a week ago. My jeep will randomly stall on me, usually when I am giving it some gas. Lately it happens more often, especially if I dont let the car warm up. I've checked for loose ground wires and havent found any. Also tried finding any other loose wires, given them a shake while the car was isling but it wont stall. Noticed the coolant resevoir was low. thought it might be the coolant sensor, but no luck when I filled that up.

When the car stalls the tach goes right to zero rpms, I retain power steering for a couple seconds but once the belt stops I obviously lose it. Radio still plays/rest of the guages read fine. The car usually wont start up right away and I have to wait about 5-15 seconds to fire it up again.

Was thinking of doing the ECU capacitator swap but I don't know how much that will really improve my situation (the post was for non starting jeeps).

Anyone have a similiar problem? Any knowledge you could share would be appreciated.

yjninefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also can't seem to find an ignition control module for a 95, do they have one for this model? If anyone's bought one can you share a link?
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Having idle problems is not so weird, but, thats weird that it is not starting after 15 or 20 seconds after the stall. The first thing I might look at is a fuel delivery problem. There is way to check the fuel pressure on the rail there near the fuel injectors. Have you checked the check engine light sequences? I think I would do that, there may be an indicator of the cel behavior that could point to a problem with it. I know what you mean about availabilty of ECU's. I am seeing parts stores having no availability of them. People do rebuild them for you, your original one sent out, and they rebuild that one. Make sure your entire fuel delivery system is working properly.
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjninefive View Post
Hey guys, been reading posts on this forum for a while and finally have a good reason for my first post.

I have a 1995 YJ that has been giving me problems as of a week ago. My jeep will randomly stall on me, usually when I am giving it some gas. Lately it happens more often, especially if I dont let the car warm up. I've checked for loose ground wires and havent found any. Also tried finding any other loose wires, given them a shake while the car was isling but it wont stall. Noticed the coolant resevoir was low. thought it might be the coolant sensor, but no luck when I filled that up.

When the car stalls the tach goes right to zero rpms, I retain power steering for a couple seconds but once the belt stops I obviously lose it. Radio still plays/rest of the guages read fine. The car usually wont start up right away and I have to wait about 5-15 seconds to fire it up again.

Was thinking of doing the ECU capacitator swap but I don't know how much that will really improve my situation (the post was for non starting jeeps).

Anyone have a similiar problem? Any knowledge you could share would be appreciated.
Turn your ignition to the ON position. If your CEL lights up you can assume that your brain is good.

Does it stall when you give it fuel or let off on the fuel? Or does it stall when you let off the gas and are turning? If so then maybe the power steering plug that prevents stalling when you max out turning the steering wheel (not a good idea)is not plugged in.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
kelti819
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had this same exact issue...mine just took longer to restart. Turned out to be a bad engine coolant temp sensor (the one on the tstat housing) and a horribly dirty connection at the ecu. Clean the ecu connectors with rubbing alcohol and chexk the wiring between there and the coolant sensor. Should be pins 2 and 4 on the harness. Make sure they are not broken or shorted and see if that fixea it. Also cjeck your codes and see if the coolant sensor pops up
kelti819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check engine light is not on but my speedo doesnt work either so it might be w/o me knowing.

Moonshine. I meant to say that it does restart after 5-15 seconds. Sometimes on the first try but usually i'll just let in run in nuetral for a couple seconds and be able to turn it over and start it again.

There are no problems when it idles, I let it idle for 20 minutes yesterday with no problem. It is when I give it gas that it stalls. Either when it really starts going (2500rpms) or right after i change gears and give it some gas does it stall. Also not on turns, usually going straight

I'll limp down to autozone and see if they can drop some knowledge regarding checking the CEL
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a Crank Position Sensor... You might try a search for that and see if the symptoms are similar.
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check engine light is not on but my speedo doesnt work either so it might be w/o me knowing.

Moonshine. I meant to say that it does restart after 5-15 seconds. Sometimes on the first try but usually i'll just let in run in nuetral for a couple seconds and be able to turn it over and start it again.

There are no problems when it idles, I let it idle for 20 minutes yesterday with no problem. It is when I give it gas that it stalls. Either when it really starts going (2500rpms) or right after i change gears and give it some gas does it stall. Also not on turns, usually going straight

I'll limp down to autozone and see if they can drop some knowledge regarding checking the CEL
Does the CEL light up when you just turn the ignition to the ON (not start) position? If it does then your brain is most likely OK. I think either your throttle position sensor or Idle Air Control is the culprit. The speedometer may not work becasue the cable or gear is junk. It is not be related to the stalling issue.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedo hasnt lit up/worked in about a year. Next project is taking he dash off and checkin the circuit board.

Shift light doesnt turn on anymore either since about the same time
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
pointech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Does the CEL light up when you just turn the ignition to the ON (not start) position? If it does then your brain is most likely OK.
When you first posted this I thought you literally meant the user's brain but now I see you mean the Jeep brain, right? I'm slow sometimes...
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wait before you rip into it. Planedog has it right. You have 2 primary sensors that will cause what you are describing; the crank shaft position sensor and the distributor pickup sensor(cam sensor). Check your wires to both sensors and start with replacing the crank then the cam.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointech View Post
When you first posted this I thought you literally meant the user's brain but now I see you mean the Jeep brain, right? I'm slow sometimes...
Brain as in ECM or ECU depending upon the year. EVERY time you write ECM or ECU someone just has to chime in and correct you if for that given year it was the other name...but never have any other input to help the OP. Similar to our ever present spelling nazis

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Removed the MAP sensor and it hasnt stalled yet today. Went to order the part at autozone but the map sensor they had pictured on thier computer wasnt the same thing. So decided to just leave it off seems to be running fine. Will update the problem restarts. Thanks guys
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Removed the MAP sensor and it hasnt stalled yet today. Went to order the part at autozone but the map sensor they had pictured on thier computer wasnt the same thing. So decided to just leave it off seems to be running fine. Will update the problem restarts. Thanks guys
The second you pulled the MAP sensor your CEL should have lit up. A check of the codes might show a code #14 MAP sensor is not working or sending a signal in so many words.

Ignore #12, battey has recently been dissconnected, #33 ignore also if you do not have AC and #55 which indicates the test is over.

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
yjninefive
1995 YJ Wrangler 

gracias amigo, no CEL, guess thats busted

Last edited by yjninefive; 03-09-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Tags
stalling , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.