JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   1995 YJ Stalling Problems (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1995-yj-stalling-problems-1178335/)

yjninefive 03-07-2011 01:34 PM

1995 YJ Stalling Problems

Hey guys, been reading posts on this forum for a while and finally have a good reason for my first post.

I have a 1995 YJ that has been giving me problems as of a week ago. My jeep will randomly stall on me, usually when I am giving it some gas. Lately it happens more often, especially if I dont let the car warm up. I've checked for loose ground wires and havent found any. Also tried finding any other loose wires, given them a shake while the car was isling but it wont stall. Noticed the coolant resevoir was low. thought it might be the coolant sensor, but no luck when I filled that up.

When the car stalls the tach goes right to zero rpms, I retain power steering for a couple seconds but once the belt stops I obviously lose it. Radio still plays/rest of the guages read fine. The car usually wont start up right away and I have to wait about 5-15 seconds to fire it up again.:ghost:

Was thinking of doing the ECU capacitator swap but I don't know how much that will really improve my situation (the post was for non starting jeeps).

Anyone have a similiar problem? Any knowledge you could share would be appreciated.

yjninefive 03-07-2011 05:33 PM

I also can't seem to find an ignition control module for a 95, do they have one for this model? If anyone's bought one can you share a link?

moonshinefuel 03-07-2011 06:10 PM

Having idle problems is not so weird, but, thats weird that it is not starting after 15 or 20 seconds after the stall. The first thing I might look at is a fuel delivery problem. There is way to check the fuel pressure on the rail there near the fuel injectors. Have you checked the check engine light sequences? I think I would do that, there may be an indicator of the cel behavior that could point to a problem with it. I know what you mean about availabilty of ECU's. I am seeing parts stores having no availability of them. People do rebuild them for you, your original one sent out, and they rebuild that one. Make sure your entire fuel delivery system is working properly.

laybackman 03-07-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjninefive (Post 11111673)
Hey guys, been reading posts on this forum for a while and finally have a good reason for my first post.

I have a 1995 YJ that has been giving me problems as of a week ago. My jeep will randomly stall on me, usually when I am giving it some gas. Lately it happens more often, especially if I dont let the car warm up. I've checked for loose ground wires and havent found any. Also tried finding any other loose wires, given them a shake while the car was isling but it wont stall. Noticed the coolant resevoir was low. thought it might be the coolant sensor, but no luck when I filled that up.

When the car stalls the tach goes right to zero rpms, I retain power steering for a couple seconds but once the belt stops I obviously lose it. Radio still plays/rest of the guages read fine. The car usually wont start up right away and I have to wait about 5-15 seconds to fire it up again.:ghost:

Was thinking of doing the ECU capacitator swap but I don't know how much that will really improve my situation (the post was for non starting jeeps).

Anyone have a similiar problem? Any knowledge you could share would be appreciated.

Turn your ignition to the ON position. If your CEL lights up you can assume that your brain is good.

Does it stall when you give it fuel or let off on the fuel? Or does it stall when you let off the gas and are turning? If so then maybe the power steering plug that prevents stalling when you max out turning the steering wheel (not a good idea)is not plugged in.

kelti819 03-07-2011 06:27 PM

I had this same exact issue...mine just took longer to restart. Turned out to be a bad engine coolant temp sensor (the one on the tstat housing) and a horribly dirty connection at the ecu. Clean the ecu connectors with rubbing alcohol and chexk the wiring between there and the coolant sensor. Should be pins 2 and 4 on the harness. Make sure they are not broken or shorted and see if that fixea it. Also cjeck your codes and see if the coolant sensor pops up

yjninefive 03-07-2011 09:29 PM

Check engine light is not on but my speedo doesnt work either so it might be w/o me knowing.

Moonshine. I meant to say that it does restart after 5-15 seconds. Sometimes on the first try but usually i'll just let in run in nuetral for a couple seconds and be able to turn it over and start it again.

There are no problems when it idles, I let it idle for 20 minutes yesterday with no problem. It is when I give it gas that it stalls. Either when it really starts going (2500rpms) or right after i change gears and give it some gas does it stall. Also not on turns, usually going straight

I'll limp down to autozone and see if they can drop some knowledge regarding checking the CEL

planedog 03-08-2011 05:53 AM

Sounds like a Crank Position Sensor... You might try a search for that and see if the symptoms are similar.

laybackman 03-08-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjninefive (Post 11115109)
Check engine light is not on but my speedo doesnt work either so it might be w/o me knowing.

Moonshine. I meant to say that it does restart after 5-15 seconds. Sometimes on the first try but usually i'll just let in run in nuetral for a couple seconds and be able to turn it over and start it again.

There are no problems when it idles, I let it idle for 20 minutes yesterday with no problem. It is when I give it gas that it stalls. Either when it really starts going (2500rpms) or right after i change gears and give it some gas does it stall. Also not on turns, usually going straight

I'll limp down to autozone and see if they can drop some knowledge regarding checking the CEL

Does the CEL light up when you just turn the ignition to the ON (not start) position? If it does then your brain is most likely OK. I think either your throttle position sensor or Idle Air Control is the culprit. The speedometer may not work becasue the cable or gear is junk. It is not be related to the stalling issue.

yjninefive 03-08-2011 09:34 AM

Speedo hasnt lit up/worked in about a year. Next project is taking he dash off and checkin the circuit board.

Shift light doesnt turn on anymore either since about the same time

pointech 03-08-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laybackman (Post 11116621)
Does the CEL light up when you just turn the ignition to the ON (not start) position? If it does then your brain is most likely OK.

When you first posted this I thought you literally meant the user's brain but now I see you mean the Jeep brain, right? I'm slow sometimes...

Que89YJ 03-08-2011 10:24 AM

Wait before you rip into it. Planedog has it right. You have 2 primary sensors that will cause what you are describing; the crank shaft position sensor and the distributor pickup sensor(cam sensor). Check your wires to both sensors and start with replacing the crank then the cam.

laybackman 03-08-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointech (Post 11117503)
When you first posted this I thought you literally meant the user's brain but now I see you mean the Jeep brain, right? I'm slow sometimes...

Brain as in ECM or ECU depending upon the year. EVERY time you write ECM or ECU someone just has to chime in and correct you if for that given year it was the other name...but never have any other input to help the OP. Similar to our ever present spelling nazis :rolleyes:

yjninefive 03-08-2011 04:46 PM

Removed the MAP sensor and it hasnt stalled yet today. Went to order the part at autozone but the map sensor they had pictured on thier computer wasnt the same thing. So decided to just leave it off seems to be running fine. Will update the problem restarts. Thanks guys

laybackman 03-08-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjninefive (Post 11120141)
Removed the MAP sensor and it hasnt stalled yet today. Went to order the part at autozone but the map sensor they had pictured on thier computer wasnt the same thing. So decided to just leave it off seems to be running fine. Will update the problem restarts. Thanks guys

The second you pulled the MAP sensor your CEL should have lit up. A check of the codes might show a code #14 MAP sensor is not working or sending a signal in so many words.

Ignore #12, battey has recently been dissconnected, #33 ignore also if you do not have AC and #55 which indicates the test is over.

yjninefive 03-08-2011 08:53 PM

gracias amigo, no CEL, guess thats busted

The time now is 12:19 AM.