1995 YJ fuel leak problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ fuel leak problem

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 YJ fuel leak problem

Every now and then my jeep will leak a steady stream of fuel in the rear left tire area. When it happens, it's a steady drip and will leave a good sized pool if I idle for a minute. If I turn off the jeep and restart it, sometimes it will leak, sometimes it won't. Most of the time it runs fine, no leaks. I have the 4cyl engine. Any ideas?

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the lines to the fuel filter. Mine did that they needed to be replaced weather rot.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This sound like it could be a couple of items... Check the filler tube and vent. Also, given the location, check your fuel filter connections. It resides at the driver's side inside the frame rail at or just before the rear wheel. If this problem is persistent, it should be easy to locate the source.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I'll change the fuel filter first and see if that helps. I bought it last year and haven't replaced it yet.

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing the same thing. It was the fuel line going from the tank to the fuel filter. Mine wasn't pushed on all the way just had to loosen clamp, push it on and tighten clamp. Yours might just be rotten though and need replacing. Don't forget to depressurize the fuel line before messing with t or you will get a gasoline bath. You can find the fitting on the fuel rail it looks kind of like a AC fitting. Oh mine has the 4.0 so don't know if it is similar or not.

Last edited by glturner39; 06-13-2013 at 07:12 PM..
glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Okay I'll change the fuel filter first and see if that helps. I bought it last year and haven't replaced it yet.
I won't argue with replacing the fuel filter as you do not know the history of it, but please look for pre-existing leaks before doing so. This way you have a bit of confidence of fixing the original problem if you see the issue before you do the work.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just thought of another thing, for a while I ran the gas down and kept it below 1/2 tank thinking that would solve the problem, but it happens at no matter what level. Right now the tank is full and the gas hasn't leaked for a few drives.

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Similar problem and it was loose clamps by the filter and return line... New clap. problem solved
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.