1995 YJ Electrical problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Electrical problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
CodeMoose
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just talked to a friend, going to borrow a voltmeter tonight and check the fuses and cables - I'll get the battery checked as well. All the cables are dead solid, the only thing out of the ordinary is some rust - it's particularly bad on the neg connection to firewall.

Be honest - for a newb like me, at what point should I recognize that I'm in over my head and get it towed to an electrician? What's next if the fuses are clean and bridging the battery cables doesn't change anything?

CodeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That rust is what we are talking about. That needs to be cleaned. Power problems are the easiest. If you absolutely need it running and you are just learning then you might have to bite the bullet and take it in. If you want to learn and are patient then you are in the right place and we will get it going.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
CodeMoose
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ah, I'll add freeing/cleaning cables to the list then. I'd much rather learn and get my hands in it than pay someone else and learn nothing - and I've got an open weekend in front of me, so I've got the time. I'll update y'all once I've checked the fuses and cables.

If I haven't said it yet, thanks for the help - I'm deeply grateful. There's a forehead-shaped dent in the wall where I've been hitting my head against it.
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get a $20 meter from harbor freight or radio shack.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck. This is a 20 year old car, most mechanics will be unwilling to work on it. Too many issues. See if there is a local Jeep club in your area, if you see another YJ, stop and ask. The vehicle is simple by today's standards, but that doesn't mean it can cause a fair amount of consternation.
BTW, I don't really care for those battery connections, I much prefer the cables with the connectors factory attached. They are good for a quick fix, but have a tendency to work loose.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you fried a solenoid/starter.

You also need to check how it closed the connection to energize it while you were driving. Possibly a faulty ignition switch.

In any case, I'd check wiring at the starter solenoid to check for proper operation when turning on ignition to start position.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
CodeMoose
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Battery and fuses all check out. I ended up hauling it to an electrician since my weekend got taken up by work - he ended up replacing the starter. A little skeptical that the problem stops there, but we'll see when I pick it up this afternoon.
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMoose View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Battery and fuses all check out. I ended up hauling it to an electrician since my weekend got taken up by work - he ended up replacing the starter. A little skeptical that the problem stops there, but we'll see when I pick it up this afternoon.
Well, how'd ya make out?
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.