1995 YJ Alternator Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 YJ Alternator Upgrade

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Penny727
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 YJ Alternator Upgrade

Hey, I am planning to run a high powered audio system (slightly over 1000wrms) in my 1995 YJ 2.5L. I plan to upgrade the stock alternator with a 136amp alt. from an older dodge. I have referenced an older thread on this forum of compatible alternators.

What I am confused about is what I will have to do to prevent any sort of electrical catastrophe. I read this thread in entirety and I am still confused what I will need to do regarding the factory wiring. I have seen users recommend various things and I am not sure which is the best route.

I was thinking about doing what a user named 'sentinal02' suggested. He has a 1992 YJ and I guess my wiring is the same?

copied from him:

"disconnect the PDC to batt + wire and the alternator end of the two pig tails going to the two fuses in the PDC (the wire that splits). rewire the alt output to go directly to the batt + putting your new high amp fuse in line on this wire. then, connect the alt end of the two pig tails you removed earlier to the batt +.

running the wires in this configuration means you don't have to do anything to the internal terminals of the PDC and it leaves the PDC and the rest of the stock wiring double protected, both by the new high amp fuse which will blow is you exceed the alt's max, and also the two 50 or 60 amp maxi's that it originally had. since we don't know what the current rating for the PDC's bus bars is i found this setup more to my liking. set up like this, i know i can't over load the PDC itself if i tap into the stock wiring where i shouldn't. you'll never be able to draw more than the 100 amps that it was setup to provide originally without blowing those maxi fuses. any auxiliary circuits i can add directly off the batt + terminal with an in-line fuse, or add in a secondary fuse box later on right off the batt."

If someone could explain in simple terms how to do this modification/ rewiring I would greatly appreciate it. I plan to use all high quality 0-gauge wiring and do the Big Three Upgrade in addition to anything else anyone suggests.

Sorry to post such a convoluted thread, but I wanted to show that I'm trying to make sense of all of this.

Thanks for your help!

Penny727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well do the alternator + wire upgrade from the alternator to the PDC going to the stock location. Since you have read about the alternator itself I will not get into that. Now at the same time you might want to upgrade the PDC to the battery. Now for the amp you are using connect it from the battery to an inline fuse or breaker your choice here. Some will say to use an heavy duty relay in there to turn the amp from drawing power when the engine is off. Again your choice to do this or not.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
95_Sahara
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running a system with a 1100 watt Rockford Power amp with a 1 farad capacitor and I don't get Any loss of juice with everything on in the jeep. I have a duralast gold battery and a 2 year old alternator. The whole tub and doors also have dynamat extreme.

95_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Penny727
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Well do the alternator + wire upgrade from the alternator to the PDC going to the stock location. Since you have read about the alternator itself I will not get into that. Now at the same time you might want to upgrade the PDC to the battery. Now for the amp you are using connect it from the battery to an inline fuse or breaker your choice here. Some will say to use an heavy duty relay in there to turn the amp from drawing power when the engine is off. Again your choice to do this or not.
So you are suggesting that I replace the wires going into the PDC from the alt. and also from the PDC to the battery? If I were to use an alternator whose amperage exceeded the amperage of the fuses at max draw, the fuses would likely blow (i.e. 140 amp alt and two 50 amp fuses).

I dont think I'd be able just to put new fuses into the PDC without understanding the capabilities of the internal electrical components of it.

Can someone clear things up for me?
Penny727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you look your buss bar is a lot larger than you would think so you still could change out the maxi fuses out to 60amp without any problems. And yes would still recommend the upgrade of the wires in both places. Due to the fact that the factory wiring is just to standards for the load being carried. This will add a safety factor and load carried.
Most of the time you will hardly ever use the max output of amps the alternator would put out.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.