1995 YJ 2.5L Idler Pulley Binding - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
DaleG

1995 YJ 2.5L Idler Pulley Binding

My son attempted to change the serpentine belt on his 1995 YJ, and after he was done, the belt started getting eaten away.

I took a look at it, and it turns out the lower idler pulley/tensioner below the power steering pump wasn't turning at all.

It was hard against the tensioner/PS bracket when the idler bolt was tightened up.

I'm assuming some spacer/bushing fell out when he disassembled it, and he didn't notice.

I dug up a nut of appropriate thickness that was slightly loose on the bolt, and used it as a spacer, and things seem to work.

What is this part that is missing?

Is it this? http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../06503230.html

I looked in Chilton and AllData, and they don't seem to have the detail for this part. In fact, they don't show the particular serpentine belt routing for his Jeep at all (PS, no AC, but with two idler pulleys, one at the top, one below the PS pump). The manuals don't show any configs where the idler pulley moves on a tensioner bolt/collar. Is this an unusual configuration for some reason (or is it set up wrong somehow?)

It seems slicker to adjust the tension with just the tensioner/idler pulley via the adjuster bolt, rather than the setup where you move the PS pump or alternator to tension the belt. But I can't find any documentation of this particular arrangement, which worries me that something is set up wrong.

As his bearings felt a little rough on this idler as well, I picked up a new idler pulley for him.

The existing idler pulleys have a large flanged bushing that is on the front; this is supposed to go on the front of the pulley, correct? (I was wondering if *this* might be the spacer somehow, but I doubt it).

The new idler pulley came with a much smaller flanged bushing; the generic instructions with it indicate it's supposed to go on the front, but it seems to me that it would act as a nice spacer on the back (combined with the existing larger flanged bushing on the front). Also, out of the box, it was pushed into the back of the idler.

Any ideas on how to fix this up properly?

Here's photos of the belt routing, ps/idler, and the new idler/bushing:

http://imgur.com/a/WGAyZ

Thanks,

-dale

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tags
bushing , idler pulley , tensioner pulley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.