1995 yj - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
sethmark

If you decide to sell the side steps for rocker armor please send me an email... seth@offroadmarketing.com

sethmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got it out wheeling again with a bunch of guys. It did very well but the stretch will definately be needed.

Here are some photos
The group

D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #33
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well since the weather has been so nice lately I've been driving the jeep more on the road. I had an issue the other day though what seemed to be bump steer I'm guessing. driving down the road no apparent reason front wheels start bouncing the entire jeep stop at the school to check everything. Didn't find anything loose, but I was close to my house so I drove it home no probs drove great. Jacked it up in hopes of finding something loose, broken, or bent. Nothing, so I grabbed my old steering stabilizer(not installed at the time) to see if that makes a difference. Only problem is now I have to come up with some way of mounting it to the tie rod or drag link. grabbed some u-bolts and scrap plate from work.

Started with a cardboard template and I'm not sure it'll work with a stock axle side mount. Problem being space behind the HD tie rod. Is it possible to mount it where the track bar used to be? or is there another mount someone is using or other ideas someone may have??
current pic of the front end

space issue
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #34
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump anyone??
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to ask Max or one of the big dogs on that one. That is definitely too close to the spring!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #36
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking if I try the tie rod flip it may give me a better angle to get at the tie rod?? hoping for any input
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #37
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb577 View Post
<snip>went for a drive tonight. seems to be running well. no leaks, no overheat, a small vibration feels like in the front. Going to start trouble shooting that tomorrow. I filled up the tires with air tonight, gonna try driving again tomorrow to see if that was the issue, if not I am going to pull the front drive shaft to see if that's the problem. Hoping to narrow it down, possibly wheeling on Sunday.
Did you end up pulling the shaft?

Also, I suppose its possible that 1 or more of the tires are out of balance, or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb577 View Post
<snip> I had an issue the other day though what seemed to be bump steer I'm guessing. driving down the road no apparent reason front wheels start bouncing the entire jeep stop at the school to check everything. Didn't find anything loose, but I was close to my house so I drove it home no probs drove great. Jacked it up in hopes of finding something loose, broken, or bent. Nothing <snip>
I wouldn't focus much on trying to get the steering stabilizer to fit. Yea, they can "help" but in reality they basically mask issues rather then solve them IMO.

Were the new shocks mounted?

I'd do more visual checks.

Balljoints
Spring and shackle hangers for cracks
Wallowed-out spring/shackle hanger bolt holes
Loose steering gearbox and/or excessive play
Worn steering rod ujoint or its bushing
Front crossmember cracked where it welds to the frame
Bent wheel/loose lugs/missing balance weight(s)
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Did you end up pulling the shaft? I haven't yet. Looks like you gave me a few things to look at and try when I get back home from the midwest for work.

Also, I suppose its possible that 1 or more of the tires are out of balance, or something else. I have a feeling this is the possibility where I brought them to be balanced they said they did the best they could...

I wouldn't focus much on trying to get the steering stabilizer to fit. Yea, they can "help" but in reality they basically mask issues rather then solve them IMO. My thoughts exactly

Were the new shocks mounted? yes

I'd do more visual checks.

Balljoints
Spring and shackle hangers for cracks
Wallowed-out spring/shackle hanger bolt holes
Loose steering gearbox and/or excessive play
Worn steering rod ujoint or its bushing
Front crossmember cracked where it welds to the frame
Bent wheel/loose lugs/missing balance weight(s)
Will check all of this I do know that there are no loose lugs I did check that, and the frame is really nice for where I am completely re done and in great shape but I'll take closer looks at everything when I get back from Indiana and Iowa.

Thanks Joe!
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, while sitting in my hotel room I got thinking about this issue. Now just before the first time I felt it I had noticed one of my brake calipers was seized and that was the first time it happened just before I pulled into my friend's driveway to fix it. Is it possible with a warped rotor it could cause this to start and amplify it as I drive down the road??

Trying to nail down what could be causing it and it didn't do it before the brake issue. I may just do new pads and rotors when I get home after inspecting the rotor in question.
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well getting ready to pull the trigger on my stretch parts I'm just making sure I have everything I need on the list if someone wants to comment on something I may have forgotten.

-stock height HD XJ springs
-junkyard set of XJ springs for using the main leaf
-stretch rockers, corners, and tank from gen-right
-spring perches, way back hangers, and trac bar kit from ruffstuff
-will need new shocks but i'll measure for those after it's done.
-I believe I have all of the bushings I will need
-I'm sure there are some odds and ends that I'll just buy locally

I'm also adding to it but not stretch related
-front and rear tube fenders
-boulder series YJ tire carrier from gen-right
-possibly SOA the front on stock height YJ springs as I have them
-already have crossover steering brake lines, etc... will be ordering the spring perches for the front from ruffstuff as well in case I do decide to go that way.

I'm sure I have probably forgotten something but please feel free to chime in.

-Chris
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
rmappelt
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am really interested in watching your stretch. I have been trying to read up on it lately and have been contemplating doing one myself in the future. I am trying to hunt down threads that have a stretch with rear XJ springs swapped in.

So how much stretch are you planning on? Staying SUA in the rear? How much height will you get from the stock HD XJ springs you think?

If you have any links to stretch threads, I'd be interested in looking at them.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-93-yj-build-slow-low-cog-1229470/"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]My build: OuraYJ[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
rmappelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #42
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmappelt View Post
I am really interested in watching your stretch. I have been trying to read up on it lately and have been contemplating doing one myself in the future. I am trying to hunt down threads that have a stretch with rear XJ springs swapped in.

So how much stretch are you planning on? Staying SUA in the rear? How much height will you get from the stock HD XJ springs you think?

If you have any links to stretch threads, I'd be interested in looking at them.
I have found most of my info from google/friends locally. Tomb raiders thread is probably a huge help for you. My plan is to go SOA in the rear for now, ordering front perches to go SOA when I get time up front or maybe at the same time. Planning on 5" of stretch rear. Planning on about 5-5.5" of lift SOA in the rear. but with adding a leaf could get a little more will find out when I do it I guess.

Finally ordered everything tonight gen right order was placed earlier in the week, and the rest tonight. it's go time now looks like middle of may will be the time to start and hopefully finish before the summer wheeling season.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #43
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

finallly all of my stuff is here, the gen right stuff came in today and couldn't be happier with everything haven't even gotten to take everything out of the package yet. Bought brand new HD XJ springs, etc... here are some pics
Should be started on mocking the armor and tire carrier this weekend and getting everything ready for the stretch should be doing the bulk of it next weekend, will post photos of course.

Unread 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #44
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

officially underway now, no going back...

started this am no shop definately puts a damper on how much work you can do in a day...

ended the day with one corner on, and the driver rocker clamped ready for holes to be drilled and mounted

before cut

after cut

as it sits now.

figured i would see what the tire carrier will look like so I put a strap on it to see.
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well after a long weekend the axle, gas tank, and bumper are all in place and moving under it's own power. Have some minor things to tie up and i'll be heading back to a friend's house to do the traction bar and front soa while I am in there anyway.

the only problem I ran into was having to drill another hole on the perches to set the axle forward more because of the gen-right gas tank clearances but wheelbase is at 100".

gas tank

finish weld on one side way back hangers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.