1995 Wrangler wont turn over suddenly??? Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 Wrangler wont turn over suddenly??? Please Help!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
CaseAce000

1995 Wrangler wont turn over suddenly??? Please Help!

Hello Jeepforum,

I ran into a problem last night with my jeep. I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L manual.

I went to the store last night at 11 pm and took my jeep... started up fine in my driveway. I let it warm up like normal and then drove it just down the road to my store and was inside for maybe 20 min. I walked out and got back in and when i tried to start it again, it made no attempt in turning over.

Usually i turn the key to on and let the fuel injection start, then once my "check engine" (3-4 sec) light turns off i crank her up and she usually starts no problem. This time however she didn't even make an attempt to turn over. I had someone help me push it down a small decline and i tried to bump start it in 2nd gear and she turned on. I drove her home and when i parked her, i turned her off and waited 30 sec and then tried to turn her on again... and she did!

This morning, same problem... doesnt want to even turn over at all... no cranking sounds, no starter spinning or even trying to engage the fly wheel.

Lights are strong, not dim at all... same with dashboard lights... music plays and fuel injection works... so i dont think its my battery cause the car worked one second and then didnt the next... to fast to be a drained battery and theres not even a clicking noise like a drained battery would make in attempting to start up.

Has anyone had this problem before? Could it be my starter? ignition coil? if anyone has any idea i would appreciate their input! thanks!

Goldie

CaseAce000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

could be your starter, starter relay, key switch or electrical ignition switch. The coil wouldnt have anything to do with the starter not turning.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseAce000 View Post
Hello Jeepforum,

I ran into a problem last night with my jeep. I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L manual.

I went to the store last night at 11 pm and took my jeep... started up fine in my driveway. I let it warm up like normal and then drove it just down the road to my store and was inside for maybe 20 min. I walked out and got back in and when i tried to start it again, it made no attempt in turning over.

Usually i turn the key to on and let the fuel injection start, then once my "check engine" (3-4 sec) light turns off i crank her up and she usually starts no problem. This time however she didn't even make an attempt to turn over. I had someone help me push it down a small decline and i tried to bump start it in 2nd gear and she turned on. I drove her home and when i parked her, i turned her off and waited 30 sec and then tried to turn her on again... and she did!

This morning, same problem... doesnt want to even turn over at all... no cranking sounds, no starter spinning or even trying to engage the fly wheel.

Lights are strong, not dim at all... same with dashboard lights... music plays and fuel injection works... so i dont think its my battery cause the car worked one second and then didnt the next... to fast to be a drained battery and theres not even a clicking noise like a drained battery would make in attempting to start up.

Has anyone had this problem before? Could it be my starter? ignition coil? if anyone has any idea i would appreciate their input! thanks!

Goldie
First, I would check all my connections on my starter and work my way back. It sounds like a bad connection in the starter circuit. It may be a bad starter but many a starter has been swapped out that was in good condition but the connections weren't. Of course those connections get fixed when you pop in the new starter!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
dirtydan69
1994 YJ Wrangler 

same thing happened to me, check for a loose wire on the starter.
dirtydan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

this happened to me about two weeks ago check your batter terminal mine was loose i figured this out after i brought two rebuilt starters back to the store thinking they were bad hope this helps
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get your battery LOAD tested.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring, battery, and starter in that order. Check your wiring from the battery to the starter. Clean any corrosion off. Get your battery load teated. You might have enough juice to power accessories but not the starter. Last the starter; pull and replace. I spent a couple hours under the GF's Taurus this weekend doing her starter.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
CaseAce000

Thanks everyone... gunna spend tomorrow going over it, those damn school finals are kicking my *** and leaving me no time to work on my baby.

but thanks for the input ya'll

Goldie

Last edited by CaseAce000; 12-10-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
CaseAce000

test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.