1995 Wrangler Speedometer not working - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 Wrangler Speedometer not working

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 02-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Not sure if you guys in the older YJ's are aware of this, the OP's Jeep (as well as my 95) use an electronic sensor instead of gear and cable. Most likely issue is the vss (vehicle speed sensor). I just had mine go out three days ago.
while some of this is true... its still an easy check to spin the gear in a drill no matter what the year is... That way you can know if everything after the gear is good.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Which gear are you talking about Mark? best of my knowledge there isn't any way to attach a drill to the VSS end, and seems like an awful lot of work to go that route when you can just change the VSS and be done with it.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The speedo gear in the tail shaft of ur TC tail cone or sye. Pull it out with the sensor still attached, put the other end of the gear in ur drill, then turn on ur jeep and spin the drill. If it works then te gear isn't clocked correctly, if it doesn't then ur sensor is bad. Like he said, it's a simple and Easy test. Remove 3 bolts and pull the gear out...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
Dan84
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hi everyone I'm new in this forum and in the jeep world however I've already did lots of work on my jeep , I have a wrangler 1995 yj
My speedometer stop working but sometimes jumps and it dies again
Long story short I changed the tires a couple of weeks ago when started to fail but fixed the problem by replacing the speed sensor and the speedometer gear
A couple of days ago my Exhaust cracked and I had to replaced it had to removed the air box , steering pump , intake etc but I think I most connected something wrong because my speedometer won't work I have checked all connections many time but can't resolved the issue
I've also been doing some research and found that could be a bad TPS BUT EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTILL I change the exhaust
Please help any ideas or similar issues here ?
Is annoying problem
Thanks
Dan84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the wiring to the sensor on the tcase.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
Dan84
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer not working

Thanks I will try this tomorrow I was out of town last week but Seems weird to me because I replace the speed sensor over a month ago and also change the gear but after replacing the exhaust it stooped working and sometime it works but jumps a lot ....

Thanks again
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Redqman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 95 wrangler and changed the speed sensor with no luck. I do have the check engine light come on. to me that means wiring as I believe the light reads to see if the speed sensor is there is all. if someone knows different please let me know. it was out when I bought it. they told me it quit when the transfer case was replaced. I would like any clues.
Redqman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Redgman post up to a new thread. Chances are you just need to clock the sensor which is nothing more then turning it to make the gears mesh. You can check functionality by pulling the speedo sensor putting the sensor in a drill and spinning it to see if you get an reading on the gauge.
Here is how to check your codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #24
Dan84
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed Spedo Problem

So after wasting time checking the spedo wiring etc, I disconnected the speed sensor from the Tcase and noticed that the Speedo gear was all broken and the pin the goes inside the gear was broken as well .. I was surprise because I bought it like 2 month ago although i only paid like $15 dollars thats why .. so if you are buying a speed sensor make sure it come from a good vendor or the dealer I know it will cost more but less headache you know

bottom line if you spedo stop working before wasting time checking on cables focus on the speed sensor it self and gear
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
Redqman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My speed sensor looks as well as the one removed. the speedometer say like 120 all the time. I am guessing bad speedometer but have no way to tell. the check engine light comes on every time I drive it.
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as I have said before in this thread. Remove the vss (and the gear) from the transfer case. Turn the key to on (dont start it) and spin the gear in a drill. If the speedometer works then your wiring/speedo is good and you need to look after the gear... meaning clocked wrong, gear broken etc..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #27
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Redqman you should pull the codes if your check engine light is on. One of those codes will probably point to the vss signal.
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #28
Redqman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the code is for the speed sensor but I don't beleive it is the sensor, it has been changed twice and the speedometer is pegged out at like 120 even when its off, that is wy I believe it to be something else.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are backfieeding through the wiring. Do you have a meter?
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

That's why I asked for the code. What is the specific code? There are at least three that I know refer to the speed sensor. Knowing which code will help us point you in the right direction.

Tags
odometer , speedometer , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.