1995 Wrangler Rio Grande bucks under load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 Wrangler Rio Grande bucks under load

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Snailpower

1995 Wrangler Rio Grande bucks under load

Hi everyone, new member! My 95 Wrangler Rio Grande (2.5 5-speed) is a great little Jeep - I love it! A problem has shown up in the last few weeks that has me stumped. It idles and runs great, but when you accelerate past 3K RPM in any gear, it begins to buck until you let off the fuel, or shift the next gear. The bucking is very reliable. It has had a recent and complete tune up (less than 2K miles). When it started to have this issue, I replaced the fuel pump and filter, ran a fuel pressure test and all was well. The regulator is working as it should. I cannot "recreate" the problem by revving the engine. It must have a load. if you stay low in the power band while accelerating/shifting, the problem does not show itself. It has me stumped, and I am so hoping some of you have heard this problem before. It is my daily ride and merging onto the interstate has become a real issue...Thanks!!

Snailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
mmontec_ss85

Check the spark/coil. Could be that the coil is not putting out enough energy when under load. I had this same problem on another vehicle.
mmontec_ss85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Snailpower

I picked up a coil tonight - I will give that a shot.
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
smoke_20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let us know how it turns out for you, I'm having a similar issue.
smoke_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpower View Post
Hi everyone, new member! My 95 Wrangler Rio Grande (2.5 5-speed) is a great little Jeep - I love it! A problem has shown up in the last few weeks that has me stumped. It idles and runs great, but when you accelerate past 3K RPM in any gear, it begins to buck until you let off the fuel, or shift the next gear. The bucking is very reliable. It has had a recent and complete tune up (less than 2K miles). When it started to have this issue, I replaced the fuel pump and filter, ran a fuel pressure test and all was well. The regulator is working as it should. I cannot "recreate" the problem by revving the engine. It must have a load. if you stay low in the power band while accelerating/shifting, the problem does not show itself. It has me stumped, and I am so hoping some of you have heard this problem before. It is my daily ride and merging onto the interstate has become a real issue...Thanks!!
It may be clutch 'chatter'. It may do that when the clutch and flywheel don't meet each other correctly. Are you having any problems backing up also?
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Snailpower

Well, I tried a coil tonight with no luck in changing the problem. It definitely feels like an ignition failure when it occurs. I am just not sure where to check next. Maybe the pickup in the distributor? I can check it for resistance but I am not sure what the specs would be on it...

Good idea about the clutch chatter, but I am sure it's ignition. No problems backing either, but I don't tach it up to 3K going backwards either!
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought but maybe the cat. Take a hammer and tap it, if you hear any rattling that is it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpower View Post
Well, I tried a coil tonight with no luck in changing the problem. It definitely feels like an ignition failure when it occurs. I am just not sure where to check next. Maybe the pickup in the distributor? I can check it for resistance but I am not sure what the specs would be on it...

Good idea about the clutch chatter, but I am sure it's ignition. No problems backing either, but I don't tach it up to 3K going backwards either!
The cam sensor might cause this issue if it detects no movement much like the crank pos. sensor you get no spark. Check the cap and rorot also make sure they are clean both outside and inside. Also check you spark plug wires especially where they might cross over each other for cross arcing.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
jdyarbrough82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am posting here only because I see other 95 YJ owners and the recent postings... I just had to get my 95 YJ, I4, manual towed to my mechanic today and fear that the transmission may be crapping out. Last night on the interstate, I was either shifting to 5th or already in 5th when it started making a horrible grinding noise, so I downshifted to 4th gear and it stopped. Once I got off the interstate and downshifted from 4th and tried to go to another gear, it would start making that grinding noise again. So, I pulled over and just sitting in neutral it started making a clatter noise- I didn't have the clutch pushed in. When I would push the clutch in, the clatter would go away. I was able to shift into first gear, but when I tried to drive in first gear it made that horrible knocking and grinding sound. I've been reading jeep forums all day and talked to some people and have been told it could be the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, synchronizer or the transmission. Obviously, it sounds like the transmission has to be dropped regardless if it's anyone of these things..... I would just hate to replace the transmission if its not bad, or replace the other stuff and it ends up being the transmission, and then transmission will have to be dropped again. The mechanic I feel very comfortable with because they specialize in working on jeeps and off road vehicles. Just from what he heard and driving it (or trying to!), he said he doesn't think it's the clutch, and sounds more internal. He says if it is in fact the transmission, which they won't know until they drop it to know what's really wrong, then it would cost me about $1000 to rebuild it. I think that sounds about right. Any insight or suggestions for what this sounds like or should do, I would greatly appreciate!!!
jdyarbrough82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.