1995 Wrangler - New clutch making noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 Wrangler - New clutch making noise

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 11-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
jimr2345
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 Wrangler - New clutch making noise

I just had a new clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, slave and master cyl, and fly wheel installed in my 1995 wrangler. I picked it up last night as the shop was closing. I leave the lot and start shifting. Obvious noise in the clutch, sounds like the throw out bearing is making noise. No noise when the clutch is depressed. Let it out and you hear a noticeable chattering.

Is this normal? I use to do my own work but it has been years since I have done a clutch and I don't have a garage now so I took it to a local shop. I have only driven it about 6-7 miles. Will it quite down or should I bring it back?

jimr2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The noise is a chatter? I had most of them parts put in my jeep not even a month ago cause one of the local so called repair shops here put in my flywheel backwards after costing me 1800 bucks and 6 months in winter without my jeep. Had to have all that repaired and mine runs fine. Is it just a chatter?
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
jimr2345
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
The noise is a chatter? I had most of them parts put in my jeep not even a month ago cause one of the local so called repair shops here put in my flywheel backwards after costing me 1800 bucks and 6 months in winter without my jeep. Had to have all that repaired and mine runs fine. Is it just a chatter?
Ya it seems to be just chatter when your foot is off the clutch
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
jimr2345
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just went to the store, no noise but the clutch engages right at the floor! So I parked, did my thing at the store, drove home and the noise was bask abd the clutch caught mid peddle.

WTF - supposedly new slave and master, clutch, bearings pressure plate and I get this?? I saw it apart so I assume they put new parts into it but its acting like it did when I brought it in.
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Put the flywheel in backwards? You must be joking, how is that possible to mess that up?
I can speak from my own personal experience about damaging pressure plates, and buying new pressure plates, not reman ones.
A pressure plate must be installed one quarter turn on each bolt rotating opposite sides of the plate as to slowly press the plate on evenly. Same with taking it off if you want to salvage it. What can happen Is the levers can get bent inside the plate, and there is a metal ring that can warp too, causing all kinds of funky problems. I know Sachs does not deal with reman stuff, can't speak for other clutch companies. Clutch only shops will be well aware of this, other shops may accident overlook it, or, one could get a previously damaged reman pressure plate.
I am just tossing out a possibility of what could be happening.
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If its just a slight bearing type of noise, even new bearings you can hear the race spin. But chattering, I don't know, seems something is going on there. If they surfaced the flywheel, I prefer as smooth as glass as possible, that's just me. Sometimes its not real smooth after surfacing, and make take a little time to smooth out.
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel
Put the flywheel in backwards? You must be joking, how is that possible to mess that up?
I can speak from my own personal experience about damaging pressure plates, and buying new pressure plates, not reman ones.
A pressure plate must be installed one quarter turn on each bolt rotating opposite sides of the plate as to slowly press the plate on evenly. Same with taking it off if you want to salvage it. What can happen Is the levers can get bent inside the plate, and there is a metal ring that can warp too, causing all kinds of funky problems. I know Sachs does not deal with reman stuff, can't speak for other clutch companies. Clutch only shops will be well aware of this, other shops may accident overlook it, or, one could get a previously damaged reman pressure plate.
I am just tossing out a possibility of what could be happening.
I know right? The darn thing even says it on the fly wheel how it goes. Its fixed now though. I bleed the line and hope it engages properly. If not id be getting ahold of that repair shop.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
I know right? The darn thing even says it on the fly wheel how it goes. Its fixed now though. I bleed the line and hope it engages properly. If not id be getting ahold of that repair shop.
Ohh, your talking about your clutch disc on backwards, yea I can see that, you are right that is directional, and people do mess that up sometimes.
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
jimr2345
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Ohh, your talking about your clutch disc on backwards, yea I can see that, you are right that is directional, and people do mess that up sometimes.
Yes but you would think a trans shop would get it right!

So my plan is to take it to the first shop that looked at it and make sure the shop that did the work put new parts in! Once I know that, I am headed back to the shop that did the work and have them fix it.

PITA for sure. I have always done my own work and it sucks not having a place to work on my car.
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr2345 View Post
Yes but you would think a trans shop would get it right!

So my plan is to take it to the first shop that looked at it and make sure the shop that did the work put new parts in! Once I know that, I am headed back to the shop that did the work and have them fix it.

PITA for sure. I have always done my own work and it sucks not having a place to work on my car.
Oh I know, I am in the same boat, I have to borrow' places to work on my jeep, relatives garages, etc.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.