1995 temp sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 temp sensor

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 temp sensor

I am looking for a coolant Temp sensor, I believe there are two on the 1995 with 2.5 engine. If so, I need the small one on the back of the top of the cylinder head. Dealerships are telling me the small sensor on the top of the back of the cylinder head does not exist. I see one there. Does anyone have a part number, or info on this sensor, I think it is for the Temp gauge as mine is not working.

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the temp sensor is on the thermostat housing
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ditto. I just looked at my 95 2.5 and I see no sensor on the back just the one in the thermostat housing up front
Jeepfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
I am looking for a coolant Temp sensor, I believe there are two on the 1995 with 2.5 engine. If so, I need the small one on the back of the top of the cylinder head. Dealerships are telling me the small sensor on the top of the back of the cylinder head does not exist. I see one there. Does anyone have a part number, or info on this sensor, I think it is for the Temp gauge as mine is not working.
The 95 2.5 has a temp sensor on the drivers side / firewall corner of the head. NAPA part number ECH TS3001
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

OP, I'll post a link to my thread. The dealer should be able to pull the part for you, I bought mine at the dealer because three separate senders from three separate auto parts stores all read 30* hot. Maybe the nappa part referenced above will read correct but advance and autozone both left me reading 30* hotter than I was actually running.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...ffect-1035824/

Above is my thread, it took 117 posts to figure out I was getting sold inaccurate temp senders. I spent nearly 1K on the cooling system including radiator, flex-a-light fan, water pumps, countless thermostats, and the list goes on. You should unscrew the sender and slap it on the desk in the dealership and tell him to tell you it doesn't exist again. Maybe you are wording it wrong... It's the "temp sender for the dash gauge, it has one purple wire going to it." If you have to drive the jeep there then drag is idiot a** outside and show him. I hate dealing with the dealership, some are great but most are nearly incompetent.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
the temp sensor is on the thermostat housing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfan1 View Post
ditto. I just looked at my 95 2.5 and I see no sensor on the back just the one in the thermostat housing up front
The sensor on the t-stat housing is for the ECM, the sender (one purple wire on the back of the head) goes to the gauge. I assure you that if you have a 2.5, ho4.0 you have a temp sender on the back of your head with one wire going to it. If you don't believe me, unplug the temp sensor at the tstat after your engine heats up and I'll bet you that your gauge still works.
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nope my 4.0 only has a sensor on t-stat housing and none on back of head. now i know what your talking about cause ive seen a few xj's with the little white single wire sensor in the back driver side of the head inbetween the intake mainfold and valve cover..
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
nope my 4.0 only has a sensor on t-stat housing and none on back of head. now i know what your talking about cause ive seen a few xj's with the little white single wire sensor in the back driver side of the head inbetween the intake mainfold and valve cover..
Your profile says you have a 4.2, which is not a 4.0... The OP has a Chrysler so it will have a sender at the back of the block. Especially a 95. What vehicle make and year is this 4.0HO without a sender at the back of the head?
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Your profile says you have a 4.2, which is not a 4.0... The OP has a Chrysler so it will have a sender at the back of the block. Especially a 95. What vehicle make and year is this 4.0HO without a sender at the back of the head?
if you looked at my profile you would have seen SWAPPED TO 4.0 H.O Fuel injected and also swapped from auto to manual

i pulled everything from a 91 wrangler and installed it into my 89
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Weird, maybe because it was such an early year 4.0? I dunno all I can say is a 95 Chrysler 2.5 has a sender on the head lol.
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yea i got a 92 xj sittin here in the yard that im putting a 98 motor in and the 92 engine had the temp sensor on the back of the head, but the 98 didnt so i took it off the 92 and installed it onto the 98.
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When dealerships get confused on this, that's pretty bad. They couldnt help me. Thanks for all the help here. I will post 3 images in the next 10 mins or so. I purchased these today at Kragen/Orielly auto parts. The small sensor is tucked under the fuel injector rail rear side of the cylinder head, drivers side, threading streight down into the cylinder head. They called it a "light sensor", it is for the gauge. It's kind of hard to see unless you are looking for it, and know where it is. Why they call it a light sensor, not sure why, but they do, at kragens. It was approx 12 dollars. The third image will be the one we all see, the one in the thermostat housing. On the boxes, are the part numbers.

Below is the sensor that
Threads into the thermostat
Housing. Over 20 dollars.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The one with the little white cap is obviously the winner. The other like you said is for the housing. They are under the assumption that you have a dummy light setup above a gauge setup? I dunno I never try to explain dealership madness lol. Anyways, hope it reads accurate! Oh and PS, be careful handling the sensor as a socket will knock (break off) off the plastic part where the wire cOnnects very easily.
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
MCI
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hi,
This post helped me. I found the sensor at AutoZone:
Temperature Switch
Duralast TU236
$13
MCI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear.

Keep in mind I tried about 4 different temp sensors from advance and autozone and all of them read 30* hot than what the actual engine temp was.

I had to buy a sender from the dealership in order to get my gauge to read accurate. Spent nearly $1,000 on the cooling system chasing an imaginary overheating problem because of those dang temp senders. Not sure if the inaccuracy is nation wide or not, but several senders from both advance and autozone read hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.