1995 rio Grande - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 rio Grande

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Kyle-

1995 rio Grande

There is a jeep I am looking at it has the rio grande package so it has the 5 speed and 2.5L in it.

I spent last night going through about the first 100 pages just reading and I have seen a couple things regarding common engine problems and the transmission being weak and unreliable,

The jeep has 111K on it is that too much for that engine/ trans

other than that it looks pretty clean

I am definetly going to try and talk him down in price

here is the link on CL

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/car/333738067.html

should I pass on it?
I am looking for reliabilty and somewhat good Fuel Economy
I also don't have any big offroad plans for it I will use it as a DD and a fishing/hunting rig so the most offroad I am planning on using it for is logging roads and maybe some light trails

or I could get this one with the I6 and 5 speed

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=17

Last edited by Kyle-; 05-23-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Kyle- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5L lacks any "umph" you would need unless in 4LO. AX5 is definatly not a strong tranny.

But, 2.5L runs well and a 95 has EFI and the bigger front axle u-joints. It also has the plus of having a reverse rotation front end. The big thing is are you planning on pulling anything or having a big load if you go camping? Off-road, paved that is, the 2.5L has the gears to compensate for a smaller engine size (in the LO range).

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, the asking price for both vehicles is almost the same... and the Sahara has less miles on it! Take the Sahara! You get the 4.0L and AX15 tranny, better interior package, less miles. C'mon, its a no-brainer.

The only pain in the *** over taking the 93 Sahara over the 95 Rio Grande is that I think the slave cylinder might be internal on the 93, whereas its external on 94's and 95's. (I have a 94 Sahara and its external, so I know they started it at least in 94.)

By the way, $6,995 is a little steep for that Sahara. (Which makes the price of that Rio Grande ridiculous IMO.) Widdle him down a little. I bought my 94 Sahara in 1999 with 71K miles on it for $9,000.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

TOO PRICEY!!
correct me if i'm wrong but the 4cyl doesn't get much better mpg than the I6. I would want nothing less than the 4.0L IMO
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_94YJ
TOO PRICEY!!
correct me if i'm wrong but the 4cyl doesn't get much better mpg than the I6. I would want nothing less than the 4.0L IMO
MPG with the 4 angry squirrels depends on how close to stock you keep everything. Since my '93 with the 2.5 is my DD, it's "mostly" stock and I get almost 24 mpg on the highway.

The bigger the wheels/tires/suspension, etc. the worse the mpg gets.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exparrot
MPG with the 4 angry squirrels depends on how close to stock you keep everything. Since my '93 with the 2.5 is my DD, it's "mostly" stock and I get almost 24 mpg on the highway.

The bigger the wheels/tires/suspension, etc. the worse the mpg gets.
yeah thats a given.
I could get 20mpg stock with the 4.0L HO
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Kyle-

Is 93K a lot of miles for the I6 and trans?
Unread 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
ylojelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle-
Is 93K a lot of miles for the I6 and trans?
no, the engine will go 250k easy
ylojelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Kyle-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylojelo
no, the engine will go 250k easy

Thats good to know

What kind of things will need to be replaced in the near future if I get it?
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but the pictures in that link are not of a Rio Grande. #1 no rio grande decal on the quarter panel...that I can see anyway #2 Unless he switched seats at some point, I don't believe those are Rio Grande package seats. Every RG I've ever seen have the multi-color mostly clothe seats. The RG package is nothing to drool over, but they may list for a little more on Kelly BB or something. Somebody else double check me.
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

I have a 1995 Rio Grande I bought a year ago with 80,000 miles. I paid $6500 for it from a dealer after losing my truck in a wreck.

The one you listed has alot of stuff I wish mine had, namely the A/C and hard top/doors... thats an easy $1k right there.

The 2.5L has lots of power around town and below 60 mph, when on the freeway hills are your enemy! You'll be crusing at 70-75mph and the lil'engine that could will peter out and you'll end up downshifting to 4th gear to maintain 65mph.

With 90K I'd go with the 4.0L 5spd in a heartbeat. All the ones that were listed in my area when I was shopping wanted $7500-9k under 100K miles. You'll be happier with the 4.0 power if nothing else.
KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
Kyle-

Looks like I am going to go drive the sahara this weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.