1995 Jeep YJ No Cranking New Starter, Battery, and Terminals - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 Jeep YJ No Cranking New Starter, Battery, and Terminals

Hi guys I really need help with this one. All of a sudden my jeep decided to spiral out of control with problems. I went to start my jeep the other day and no cranking at all, just a very loud click noise. Just replaced the battery, the battery terminals, and the starter........everything is nice and clean. When I turn the key, I get the buzzer on the dash, all the gauges work and lights work very good and don't dim when I try to start it. The motor isn't seized I turned it over by hand. This is driving me insane please help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM
zbay
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Think it could be the starter solenoid?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/city-jeep-3543210/
post #3 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a voltage tester and are you sure all connectors are on the starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whats the starter solenoid ? Isn't that the other piece on the starter where the cables connect if so, thats new as well so it can't be that. All connections are securely on the starter, and yes I have a voltage tester.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 PM
zbay
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know the 87, has a solenoid on the fire wall. Not sure about the 95 though maybe it is all one piece in that year model. Here is a link to the part I'm talking about though hopefully it helps

http://www.quadratec.com/products/91...qNQhoC03fw_wcB

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/city-jeep-3543210/
post #6 of 27 Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check voltage at the battery, should be over 12V, then check voltage at the large wire on your starter solenoid while grounding against the engine block somewhere. Should be the same as you got across the battery terminals. If it is low, pull off the engine block ground by the base of the dip stick holder and clean it w sandpaper, apply dielectric grease and re-connect. Check other accessible grounds, power points and make sure they are clean, etc. See if it will start then.

Are you hearing your fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the "RUN" position?

The loud click should be your starter solenoid firing, but the starter should spin after that. If all you get is a click, you may not have adequate voltage at the starter, and since it is new, it would "seem" that component could be ruled out as a problem.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I checked all the connections and the battery is 12.5 volts. I cleaned the grounds on the engine block and made them nice and shiny clean metal, still no luck with starting it. No cranking at all just a loud click. When I turn the key to the "run" position I hear the fuel pump priming.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like your solenoid is firing, but you're not getting power to your starter, or you have a bum starter--even though it is new. Have you checked power at the starter with a voltmeter when you have someone try to start it? .......e brake on, transmission in neutral, etc

On your '95, the starter solenoid is the smaller round cylinder on top of the large round cylinder of the actual starter motor itself. How old is this starter, when did you replace it? Consider taking it off and taking to your local parts store to have it tested. At least in my part of N. America (as well as here in Hawaii) you can haul your starter to the local parts stores like O'Reilley's, Autozone, etc and they will test it for you. Suspect your starter until you have ruled that out.

On Sunday, I pulled the starter from a friend's Frontier that I had replaced a year ago. It would click, but not turn. At the store it tested out fine and spun, so I re-installed it and it worked. It could perhaps have a "dead spot" in it even though it has had not that much usage in 1 year. If it goes out again, and re-testing shows it to be good at the store, then I'm going to have to arm-wrestle the counter guy and make them replace it anyway.

The large "power in" cable at your starter solenoid should have same voltage as your battery. Voltmeter positive lead here, and the negative on the engine block, read voltage. The solenoid is a large switch, or a relay. The click is when the solenoid throws and makes an electrical connection. When it clicks, it is closing a switch internally. At that point, the OTHER large wire on the assembly that goes directly into the starter motor from the solenoid should spike to the 12.5V that you see at the battery. Test that one when someone keys the ignition and tell us what you get.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried letting it sit with the key in the on position for a few minutes and then trying? I had this problem on my '95 a few years ago. Turned out to be the ECU. On mine, it would start this loud clicking after a few minutes with the key on and then it would start. Hopefully, that's not your problem, but figured I would pass on my experience and might help rule it out.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm going to test the volts at the solenoid when its trying to be started. Not sure how old the starter is I just put it in yesterday.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepYjAmbrogi View Post
Not sure how old the starter is I just put it in yesterday.
Okay, I understand now it was put in yesterday.

Was this a brand new, or a remanufactured/rebuilt starter from the parts store, or was this one a buddy had in his garage of questionable history, or one from a salvage yard?

What was the issue with the previous one that led to you replacing it? Was it doing the exact same thing? (loud click, but no turning the engine over, no activation of the starter motor--loudish whine of electric motor spinning)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The previous starter was doing the exact same thing this one is doing, a very loud click every time I went to start it. I got it at a shop called dominion starters and alternators and its a rebuilt one.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Thoughtful pause.

Pull out your starter and test it. There are numerous youtube videos for this, I found this one entertaining for some reason.

While it is not likely you will have a "switch" like he had, for this you can substitute a screwdriver (with a plastic handle...) across those terminals which will act as the switch. Take the starter out and test it, and let us all know the result. Yeah, I know it's new. But we don't know it works, so bench test it and rule that part out so you can move on to other things.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
JeepYjAmbrogi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tested the starter it works. Tested the starter terminals with my dad trying to start my jeep and I'm getting 10 volts at the starter. I'm getting power to the starter but not enough. Already cleaned the starter terminals and the engine grounds. This is crazy!!!!
post #15 of 27 Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should get the same voltage at the Hot input on your starter that you do across your battery terminals. All you are doing is checking the same connections, just further down the line. If you drop 2.5 Volts across that short distance you have some enormous resistance in that circuit. You may have internally corroded cables which look fine on the ends, but if you were to cut back the insulation it would be all green and grainy. Time now to replace those. Also the ground line. If this fixes it you're golden.
Then it would be time to consider the hot input to the PDC being in the same condition, and to the alternator, etc and replace what you find corroded. Can't just look at the ends, I'd scrap them and put in some new primary cables.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.