1995 jeep wrangler won't start - new battery, new starter relay, new starter (4cyl) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 jeep wrangler won't start - new battery, new starter relay, new starter (4cyl)

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 jeep wrangler won't start - new battery, new starter relay, new starter (4cyl)

For the last month or so, when trying to start the jeep it sometimes took a couple of times turning the key to get it to start. The other day, it just wouldn't start, no matter how much I fiddled with the key.

I changed the battery (needed a new one anyway), the starter relay, and the starter. What should I look into next? I don't have a multimeter, unfortunately. I don't have any transportation to get one either.

It's a 1995 Wrangler Rio Grande with a 4cyl engine.

skream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
78vette

It could be your switch going bad.
78vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Is it turning over but won't fire up or will it not even turn over?
wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is no turn over. I'm trying to re-purpose a lamp wire to see if I can engage the starter directly from the battery... with it in neutral and the parking break on.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

*Update*

I got the starter to engage by running a wire directly from the battery. Maybe the ignition switch?
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

*update*
I can engage the starter but I think there is a shim that I don't have because the engine still makes no attempt to turn over. Anyone know anything about this shim?
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skream
*update*
I can engage the starter but I think there is a shim that I don't have because the engine still makes no attempt to turn over. Anyone know anything about this shim?
I wondered about the shim too, it does not need one or have one. I had three starters (original, second went bad in 6 months and now on my third) none had any shims. If it turns but won't turn the engine it could be what mine was doing, in that case your starter is bad. Are you still jumping the switch?

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

since your profile isnt completely filled out I cant tell if you have an auto or a manual trans. If your running an auto it could be your Neutral Safety Switch (there isnt one on a manual) Take some pictures of where your jumping your starter.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, it's a manual transmission.

I didn't think it would need a shim, they looked exactly the same. I think auto zone sold me a bunk starter which happens occaisonally. The starter motor was spinning, but I don't think the solenoid was engaging. The old starter tested good so I put it back in and I now have the jeep at least running with jumper to the starter.

I was going to go ahead and change the ignition switch, but I couldn't get the old one out. Do I need to lower the steering column to get to it?
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skream
Sorry, it's a manual transmission.

I didn't think it would need a shim, they looked exactly the same. I think auto zone sold me a bunk starter which happens occaisonally. The starter motor was spinning, but I don't think the solenoid was engaging. The old starter tested good so I put it back in and I now have the jeep at least running with jumper to the starter.

I was going to go ahead and change the ignition switch, but I couldn't get the old one out. Do I need to lower the steering column to get to it?
Yup mine did the same, starter for sure. I'm not sure about the switch though.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you pull out the starter relay and jump from pin 30 to pin 87 in the relay socket, that will crank the starter also. Chances are very good that your actual ignition switch is gone bad, or the wiring to and from it got flakey. reach down the steering column and maybe give the connector a wiggle just in case. I see that you're in the PNW so electrical corrosion is a very real prob.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I re- seated the ignition switch plug with no luck. I'm hoping to replace it today or tomorrow but I have to lower the steering column I think. I'm not familiar with doing that.
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

*Update* Ah geez, I think it's the key-lock cylinder - my old ignition switch works by actuating it with a screw driver. I don't have the tools to remove my steering wheel

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.