1995 jeep wrangler rio grande door hinge removel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1995 jeep wrangler rio grande door hinge removel

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
mina678
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1995 jeep wrangler rio grande door hinge removel

my name is mike and i'm 13 and i can't seem to get the door hinges off so i can get the rust off and paint them so i would be very happy if somebody could help me should i just go ahead and try to brake them loose or sould i spray them with pb blaster (but i dont want to mess up the paint)the bolts are like brand new but the hinge pins are very rusted should i take off the inside door panal to get to them or just see if they will brake loose

thanks in advance
i will have alot more qustion
mike,

mina678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum!

You can spray some PB Blaster on the hinge bolts/pins - it won't hurt the paint - use it sparingly since any penetrating oil that drips off or runs down the door isn't helping anything. Sometimes it takes a while (a day, or two or three) to soak in and loosen stuff up....

I'm a bit confused, what exactly are you having problems getting loose: the hinge to body & door bolts or the door hinge pivot pins?

Just my worth,
J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Jkanly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mina678 View Post
my name is mike and i'm 13 and i can't seem to get the door hinges off so i can get the rust off and paint them so i would be very happy if somebody could help me should i just go ahead and try to brake them loose or sould i spray them with pb blaster (but i dont want to mess up the paint)the bolts are like brand new but the hinge pins are very rusted should i take off the inside door panal to get to them or just see if they will brake loose

thanks in advance
i will have alot more qustion
mike,
As J-Quad said, Pb blaster will cut the rust, just give it some time to soak in. Make sure your parents know what you're doing!
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I kept the doors and hinges on and just painted over them. If you want to remove the doors just remove the pin.

I have never seen rust around the door hinges. But I am sure that it could happen.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
mina678
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I have two problems that I want to take care of(for now)

I have sprayed both pb blaster and wd-40 on the pins and I have been opening and closeing the door as I lift but they wont budge.

The hinges themselves are what is rusty around the hinge(the body of the jeep is in good shape).The bolts that hold the hinges to the body are very tight I dont want to snap them off.Has anybody removed these

I will try and explain myself better as i get used to posting

thanks
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

For getting the doors of, take a jack and block of wood. Place the block under the bottom edge of the door closer to the hinge end. Now, jack up slowly. The pin should pop up a bit. If you go too hard, your gonna have to catch the door. Helps to have a second pair of hands for this part.

Now for the bolts. The BEST way that I know of to get torx bolts out is to heat them up with a MAPP Gas torch on the head for a few seconds and then back em out. Works 85% of the time for me. You probably are gonna want your pops if you go the torch route.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
mina678
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok thank you i will try that i will prolly have alot more questions as times goes on
thanks
mike,

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.