1994 YJ - Windshield Frame (rolled and busted) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ - Windshield Frame (rolled and busted)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
herrmc
1986 CJ7 

1994 YJ - Windshield Frame (rolled and busted)

Greetings,
I just last week purchased a 1994 YJ that has been rolled... it is dinged bent and scratched here and there, but still seems to function fine mechanically.

It only has 127k miles on it, Frame is really nice and clean, the frame and body have no rust on them... but the tub is tweaked pretty bad... (if you drew a line from the middle of each door from one side to the other, the tub is bent "up" along where this line would be.. maybe 1 inch???

Also, the front of the tub (where the door mounts) on the driver side is bent pretty badly... looks like it would be near impossible to repair.

Given the body damage, and the reasonably low price I paid for it... we are just going to use it as a toy on the farm... not going to license or fix it up... at some point I may use the engine to upgrade my 81 CJ7 to the 4.0.
Now that you might understand my intentions (and why), I will pose my question:
The windshield frame was smashed when the jeep turned over ... the previous owner (who rolled the jeep) disposed of the frame before I purchased.
I would like a windshield, but cosmetics are not important at all... So... has anyone "made" their own windshield frame? Willing to share your plans, pictures, experiences?

herrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are just banning around the farm.... you could simply make a square frame from wood and attach a sheet of plexi. I would scour e-bay and crags list for a used one though.

When the guy tossed the frame, did he at least save the vin plate for you?
Firefyter-Emt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
When the guy tossed the frame, did he at least save the vin plate for you?
VIN is riveted to dash, not windshield frame.

On your home brew windshield, get some hinges and some 3/4 inch plywood. Get a picture of a military Hummer and copy the windshield setup.

You will have 2 "ports" surrounded by structure. It is easy to get flat laminate windshield glass cut to any size you want. You can easily install the glass with face frames and spacers, all done with screws and a little sealant.

Attach to the rollbar spreaders, and it will be sturdy and look near factory once painted.
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
MDonovan8
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are just going to use it on the farm, Why do you need a windshield at all? Otherwise scour Craigs' list, classified or the junk yards for a parted Heep and buy the frame or you say that you have a 81 CJ, use that as a reference and template.
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Take her to a frame shop and have them bend the frame back to shape. From there you will know what if anything else needs to be tweaked.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I'd find a used one from wherever, hammer down the body as needed and weld the hinges directly to your mangled tub. You'll end up with a windshield with wipers, that works, and looks normal from 20'. Attach the stringer bars to the top and you don't even need the retaining plates at the bottom. If you do wanna go bomb around glass-down, it's 4 bolts and it'll drop.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
VIN is riveted to dash, not windshield frame.
On the later CJ's and the 87-95 YJ's the VIN tag is mounted to a plate that is riveted to the windshield frame and then the wiper motor bolts over the plate.

Here is a photo of how they are attached. IF the guy tossed the windshield frame, it is going to be very hard to ever do anything to the Jeep other than parts. I just removed the same exact style plate from a 1985 CJ7 windshield frame that I bought. I forget when it was that the CJ's started putting the tag on them like that, but it was in the early 80's if I remember correctly.

Firefyter-Emt is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.