1994 YJ, starter will turn over but not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ, starter will turn over but not start

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
steveg917
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1994 YJ, starter will turn over but not start

1994 jeep yj won't start, turn key and the starter will turn over but won't start. Before if i turned the key to the on position and waited about twenty minutes and there would be a clicking noise coming from the relay box and the fuel pump would prime and it would start right up. Now when i try to start it I wont even get the clicking and it turns and turns but wont start. Replaced relays. Replaced ignition switch. But no luck. Think its either the crank position sensor or the brain, from what i can find online, but I'm not sure. The crank position sensor is a pain to get to and the brain is a little pricey so i was hoping to get some input before i undertook either. Please help, this jeep is my pride and joy and its just caused constant problems.

steveg917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you made sure the starter works properly? This happened on one of my Jeeps, the starter would turn but it wasn't turning over the engine. So try and turn it and verify it is turning the engine over, either hit the key with it in gear or have somebody watch the engine to be sure it's turning. Other than that I have no ideas.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's your computer, your capacitors need to be replaced. Do a search on capacitor replacment there is a writeup. If you know how to solder that will help. It will be under 20 bucks
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
steveg917
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the starter does turn the engine, when it is in gear it will jolt forward. Would replacing the computer as a whole fix the problem? Not very good at soldering, and a body of mine has a couple scrap jeeps a could salvage one off of
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would at least pull your computer apart and check it out. If you can see bad capacitors, replacing the computer will do the same thing as fixing it.

It definetly sounds like the computer to me.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have spark? Also, does the "check engine" light come on when you put the key in and "on" without starting it? If the check engine light comes on then most likely the computer is OK. If no spark, I would replace the crankshaft position sensor first, and re-set the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.

If all that fails, *then* I would look into the computer.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
steveg917
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that is actually a part i left out.. after letting it sit for 20 minutes with the key in the on position the check engine light and the "shift up" light would come on, how ever now neither will come on nor will the clicking happen. Also i looked up how to read codes by turning the key on, off, on, off, on and waiting for the flashes but got nothing
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg917 View Post
that is actually a part i left out.. after letting it sit for 20 minutes with the key in the on position the check engine light and the "shift up" light would come on, how ever now neither will come on nor will the clicking happen. Also i looked up how to read codes by turning the key on, off, on, off, on and waiting for the flashes but got nothing
Pretty sure the computer is dead then. There's a cheap and easy way to fix it tho, one of the guys gave a "how to do it" with pics. Check out this link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...ors-ecu-492597

It's a pretty common prob. You can do it yourself for like $5 instead of spending on a new one. Just make sure to follow the directions and pay attention to detail. You can get the parts you need at any Radio Shack in the US - you need three 220 uF, 35 volt electrolytic capacitors and a soldering iron.

Hope that helps!

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get one for free and you know it's good, why not screw with yours?
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clicking , ignition switch , jeep , relay , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.